• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've decided to build a website...

124 posts in this topic

I posted this over at the water cooler, but I know many of you guys don't go over there, so sorry for the redundancy.

No great shakes yet - just something I threw together as a skeleton for things to come.

I thought it might be useful as a tool for organizing all of my various pursuits, and publishing them.

Let me know what you think so far, and keep in mind that it's going to get far more complicated - but you've got to start somewhere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

johnz.org

You're a fascinating guy with a wide area of intellectual interests. You certainly don't belong here! grin.gif

I was actually enrolled and accepted at UNLV for Electrical Engineering (because of like train in the Navy from the nuclear propulsion training) but, when I saw the x-ray field in the catalog I jumped onboard that train (and 13 yrs later, I've never regretted the choice!). But one of the reasons that I didn't do the EE degree was because of all of the mathematics. I've always been able to do advanced math like for physics problems, etc. but it definitely is not my forte.

And, since I took a College Level (CLEP) test for college algebra, I didn't even have to take it in college.

However, Issac Newton stated that mathematics is the alphabet with which God created the universe.

I betcha that Chris Machuga would be a natural mathematician since he is once of the best amateur pool players in the world. And the game is wholely based upon geometry.

Disney has a video titled Donald Duck in Mathematic's Land. Don't laugh because it is an awesome presentation that breaks down the practical uses of mathematics: from pool to eliptical orbits.

I betcha that Chris Machuga would be a natural mathematician since he is once of the best amateur pool players in the world. And the game is wholely based upon geometry.

When I was a young boy during the Jurassic Period, I used to go to the grocery store with my Mom. Those were the days before the development of computerized cash registers, bar codes and scanning devices. The price of each item was stamped on the package, jar or can. I would challenge myself to compute the total of all of Mom's purchases, including taxable items, in my head and beat the cashier with the total. Occasionally, our totals would be different and the cashier would check the register tape for accuracy. I was always right.

Victor, there is more than just geometry involved in pool. Some of the rudimentary laws of physics and science come into play, too. I just thought you'd like to know.

Chris

Victor, there is more than just geometry involved in pool. Some of the rudimentary laws of physics and science come into play, too. I just thought you'd like to know.

Science experiment for you Chris:

Jump off a bluff and come back and tell me if gravity sucks or not. crazy.gif

Science experiment for you Chris:

Jump off a bluff and come back and tell me if gravity sucks or not. crazy.gif

Why don't I just call your bluff, tell you I did and nothing came of it. Go on! Give it a try! It's fun! devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

Let's be scientifically correct, here. There is no sucking action involved in the force of gravity. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

Let's be scientifically correct, here. There is no sucking action involved in the force of gravity. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

Maybe not, but your sense of humor occasionally does. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

Maybe not, but your sense of humor occasionally does. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

SECOND REQUEST! We need a "Roman Senator Thumb's Down" emoticon. It should be animated to show the thumbs down motion. Any help, Arch?

It's a good thing for you, Victor, we aren't in the Colisseum. sumo.gif

Chris

Lookin' good so far, Jazzy. I look forward to watching it develop. I could never do a blog, journal, diary, etc...I always get 3 or 4 entries into it and then quit writing in it. Good luck.

Excellent start. You might include some of those math puzzels..

Are you using Trellix or CuteSite Builder or similar tool?

Regis

Chris

SECOND REQUEST! We need a "Roman Senator Thumb's Down" emoticon. It should be animated to show the thumbs down motion. Any help, Arch?

It's a good thing for you, Victor, we aren't in the Colisseum. sumo.gif

Chris

"Salve, Caesar, te moritu salutus!"

[Hail, Caesar, we who about to die, salute you!]

are you the one and same "JOHNZ" that stiffed all of the young numismatists across the street?

(I'm putting it mildly and politely)

Sorry goose - I'm not parsing you.

I've gotten a number questions asking me if I'm such and such a "johnz".

I haven't "stiffed" anyone, although I did get NARUed from eBay back in the late 90's for making a stink about counterfeit Trade Dollars.

I am however, a member across the street, although I don't use the account. Years ago I made some trades with other members that weren't as equitable as they could have been, but it was all settled amicably.

confused-smiley-013.gif

regarding the links that Pat posted...

is that you? Simple Yes or No would suffice.

I don't know anything about alternate IDs or JohnZ across the street. I do know, however, that I enjoy Jazzy's participation on these boards.

I do know, however, that I enjoy Jazzy's participation on these boards.

I do as well.:)

At the same time I have to ask.

Jazzy, did you use the user name johnz across the street?

Sorry Bruceswar, that's not what I read.

I stated that I enjoy jazzy's post here and I mean that.

A simple, no I was not johnz across the street ends it for me.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't read that as a "no".

that read as a masked yes to me but what do I know.

Simply stated, No.

I am not that johnz across the street. In fact, I evidently no longer have an account with CU (I just tried to login) - I guess if you don't use it long enough, it expires.

But this does bring up an interesting point - if you google "johnz" you get a plethora of bloggers that are everything from corporate execs to average joes posting their family pics. It's not a particularly original handle I guess.

Should I change my domain name to something less personal?

Or should I be very specific about who I am? (I have to say that that makes me very nervous when the whole world can look at you on the internet.)

I have had a number of transactions with members of this board - coins bought, coins photographed, and a giveaway. All of those transactions have gone very smoothly (I think...) Just saying.