• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks To SUPERDAVE I can proclaim that this 1900 O Morgan is......

13 posts in this topic

§47A III25 · C3a (Near Date, Die Break ST) (181) I-2 R-6

Reverse C3a– Die crack at top of UNITED STATES with break at top of first T to rim and die chip at top left of first S in STATES.

1234675-1900Orev.jpg.628c6163596256af00d47d5dc6daf179.jpg

This is the obverse. Which leads to the question, What do you think of this coin.

As well as what does all the info in the first post meen?

In particular, The R6

1234678-1900O.jpg.411e02f8ae37e2487b930e668ec19d0d.jpg

§47A III25 · C3a (Near Date, Die Break ST) (181) I-2 R-6

Reverse C3a– Die crack at top of UNITED STATES with break at top of first T to rim and die chip at top left of first S in STATES.

This is the coding used in the VAM book to identify different varieties. Unfortunately, the book doesn't list any 1900-O variety higher than 38, so information on 47A would have to come from one of the supplements. (Roman Numeral) III-(small 2)-5 identifies the Obverse Design. C-(small 3)-a identifies the Reverse Design. (181) refers to the reeding count on the edge of the coin. (Roman Numeral) I-2 refers to an amplifying description. R-6 references the rarity wherein R-1 is the most common and R-8 is unique or nearly unique.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Yes I have....But I Am having a little trouble with this one.A 1921D.

Seems like there are hundreds for the 21D.

1235108-Untitled-2.jpg.c50f62a5ee70458a103690d2963a178a.jpg

That's an interesting one. The ES in STATES is what draws me, but it doesn't match any of the relevant VAMs that involve the S. It seems closest to the 1G, but that one, indeed, all of them, lack the second break between the E and the S. This one requires the opinion of someone better-schooled on 21D's than I.

I know I went thru the ref's 5 times and I couldn't quite figure it out....BUT I found on my 1888 a VAM. The Doubled Ear.

m11(revised) III29 · C3a (Doubled Ear) ( ? ) I-3 R-4

Obverse III29-- Ear strongly doubled on right outside of large lobe and on right side of inner ear fill. Slight doubling on hairline just above ear, top of cotton leaves and cotton bolls on right side. Date in normal position

I'm having a ball

headbang.gif

1235454-1888vam11.jpg.13cc06eb84d8cfe8cb5daea8e7911cd2.jpg

I can't tell from the photo if the ear is doubled or not. If it were the variety you cited, then the other elements should be present. In any event, you do have a die clash. Note the marks, one above the upper lip, one above the lower lip and one beneath the lower lip. This die clash was produced from the wreath on the reverse. Check the rest of the coin. (1) Is there a spike coming out of the neck just below the jaw? (2) Check the area near the drawstring of the cap. There may be evidence of the other wreath. (3) On the reverse, look for a "vee" shape between the eagle's wing and the wreath on the right. (4) You may also find Liberty's facial outline along the inside of the lefthand wreath. (5) Another possibility is a vertical mark from the "n" of the motto extending to the top of the wing. This is Liberty's neck.

(1)

1235546-IMG_0417.JPG

(2)

1235546-IMG_0418.JPG

(3)

1235546-IMG_0419.JPG

(4)

1235546-IMG_0420.JPG

(5)

1235546-IMG_0421.JPG

On image #5, there is another mark to the right of the die clash of Liberty's neckline. You may not have this on your coin. I have three of them with this mark and I haven't been able to determine what caused it. It may have been debris on the face of the die at the time of the clash.

By the way, these images are an 1888-P.

Chris

1235546-IMG_0421.JPG.4bcfad0dee7b2f02113c50d283b5446c.JPG

First Let me say that, THAT WAS WAY COOL. hail.gif

I have all of the I tems you showed in the pics except that mine aren't as pronounced as the pics. number 4 is much much less apparent on mine .I had to use a 16x loupe.

I even had the vert line from N to the wing.

Thank you very much for the pics.

That had to take some time and effort.

First Let me say that, THAT WAS WAY COOL. hail.gif

I have all of the I tems you showed in the pics except that mine aren't as pronounced as the pics. number 4 is much much less apparent on mine .I had to use a 16x loupe.

I even had the vert line from N to the wing.

Thank you very much for the pics.

That had to take some time and effort.

Thanks, Pat, but it didn't take any time at all. I already had the pics imaged for another thread.

I've picked up a few tidbits of information about die clashes from Mark Kimpton's book, Elite Clashed Morgan Dollars. For example, the definition of a clash will gradually fade as more coins are struck. It would be neat to be able to see what the first few coins looked like immediately after the clash occurred.

As I said, image #5 includes what appears to be some sort of strike-through. I'm not sure if this was impressed into the die or not. Anyway, I'm using it as a die marker to look for other specimens. Hopefully, I can find some of the earliest strikes to add to the progression of die wear.

When I search eBay auctions, I look for certain tell-tale signs of a die clash. The most obvious sign that may indicate a die clash is the "spike" from the neck on the obverse. The next, most obvious sign is the "vee-shape" on its side. These are easily discernable without the need for magnification. I'm still trying to find some of the ealiest strikes for the '88-P.

In that other thread, I mentioned a tool that Terry Forfa made to enable you to visualize the location of clashes on the Morgan. It's a cool tool!

Chris