• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you keep a coin journal?

12 posts in this topic

Just curious if any of you keep a coin journal with information about your activities? If so, what information do you keep beyond purchases and sales? Do you keep show reports, contact information, opinions of your coins? Do you write show entries?

I keep detailed records of coin purchases. Outside of that, the only type of coin journal I keep is when I write up lengthy show reports to share with the boards. So, if someone wanted to, they could reconstruct many of the larger shows and see what was available, problematic or hot.

Yes, I keep a journal (or ledger) of purchases that I have made for my collection!!

mike

--------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I keep a spreadsheet detailing each purchase, sale, and important extra info but don't actually keep a journal per se.

Beijim

I keep looseleaf binders...big ones...transaction history, auction results on coins I am interested in, historical prices, and anything in print that's not in a textbook, about coins I'm interested in, gets hole punched and filed in one of these binders.

As do others, I maintain an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my collection. I include everything possible about the coin: date of purchase, price, greysheet value, rarity, cert number, who I bought it from, and if sold who I sold it to and the price.

Don, you ask the question but have to wait for one of us to ask you?

anyway, i think it's a pretty good idea - i do what everyone else does, track the comings and goings, markup the auction catalogs, etc. - maybe this can start with the new type set i'm working on.

thanks for yet another good idea, buddy.

z

Thanks Zenny. I was really picking you guys brains to see if there was anything else I should include in my own. I like to keep contact info, purchases, sales, dates, prices and such, but I also like to write a description of some of the coins and my impression of them, and the reason I bought them, or sold them. Nothing much, just a few lines, but it helps reminding me of my mistakes and reinforcing my good decisions.The impulse buys are all there staring at me. laugh.gif I figure it'll be a fun read in 20 years.

I use Heritage's my collection feature as a journal. I enter purchase price, certification #, source, and sometimes a brief discription. The nice thing is Heritage updates the population #s , and auction results for the same grade are just a click away.

I do keep a log of all of my coin prices. It includes the basics, price + shipping if any, seller, date, grade, serial number if cerified, and brief notes about the coin.

I also keep a reference file in Word. I create a folder for each coin type and keep Word documents with any information I find for these coins. I break them down by mintmark and keep info like mintage, variations, and rarity in these. If I find info saying that a specific year of coin is typically well struck or something specific like this, I add it to my file for that year and mint mark coin. When I find a coin I am interested in, I can look to see what I have noted about this specific coin before I buy. This has become extensive enough that it is just as important to me as other reference books.

Aaron