• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George V set in INGS holders

14 posts in this topic

The International Numismatic Grading Service, one of the many obsolete services, encapsulated a nice 1911 proof set (1P to 1/2C) in the late 80's with some very pretty reverses (1/2 C attached) I was thinking of cracking them out for submission to NGC but wondered if anyone knew anything about this outfit or the best way to open their slab safely. Thanks!

1233970-Britishhalfcrown1911resized.jpg.0647d9e19f99f32fbff4c71dbe220216.jpg

Send them to NGC as crossovers and CLEARLY write on the submission form "CROSS AT ANY GRADE". That way NGC will remove them from the slabs for you at no charge - providing the coin wouldn't be bodybagged.

Those are some very attractive coins. I am working on a shilling type set, and I copuld only dream about coins so nice.

You and me both, brother.

Are you working on a GB shilling type set of all monarchs? I'm working on a George V shilling and equivalent set from all over the commonwealth.

I took your advice and shipped the INGS slabs intact to NGC as crossovers. It will be interesting to compare the NGC grades to those of a firm that didn't make it.

Here's a comparison of NGC's grades with those of INGS (now defunct).

1911 G.BRITAIN 6P PF 65 (was 65)

1911 G.BRITAIN 1S PF 64 (was 63)

1911 G.BRITAIN 2S PF 65 (was 65)

1911 G.BRITAIN 1/2C PF 65 (was 66)

Grading seems pretty consistent. Perhaps it was their slab, which featured a photo of the obverse of the coin alongside the obverse of the coin, that did them in.

1285428-IMG_0651resized.jpg

1285428-IMG_0651resized.jpg.a27c74187ed2e0f7ddb5aa79d2fc88db.jpg

Very nice. PF66? I'm happy your King George addiction is across the board and not Irish only. I don't need any more intense competition. 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif Have you been assembling your coins for a while now or are these more recent acquisitions for you. I ask because you have some excellent specimens and I know I can go six months to a year to find a George III I'll commit to because of lack of quality material. Any ways, kick stuff! headbang.gif

This coin was one of the last George III pieces I bought back in the 80's and early 90's. I thought it was unusual for a foreign coin to merit a full page plate in the MidAmerican 1991 FUN Sale and that got me interested. PR65CA is a reasonable grade for the coin (as a gilt it's not as pale as my image of an image shows.)

I was pretty pleased with myself when I imaged this half crown a few months ago.

OriginalHlafCrownimage.jpg

The coin actually looks more like this.

GeorgeVHalfcrownr6tenths.jpg

BritishHalfCrownr19116tenths.jpg

but in a few more months who knows?!