• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do You Choose What to Collect?

16 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know how people decide what to collect, be it from a bank, change, dealer, auctions, etc.

I ask because for the last 10 years, I really just did bits of everything ... I suppose the closes "technical" term would be that I was a Type collector, wanting to procure an example of a 2-cent, 3-cent, Walking Half, Franklin Half, etc.

I also always search for the currently circulating stuff, so Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickles, Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters, Kennedy halves, (a few years ago) SBA dollars, (presently) Sacagawea dollars, and (next year) the presidential dollars. I do this by trips to the bank and through loose change.

But recently, I've grown tired of just buying random coins from a dealer without any real rhyme nor reason. Hence, I've decided to concentrate on trying to collect all (affordable) examples of a few series: Flying Eagle Cents (because they were the first small cents made in America), 2 cents ('cause I think they're cool and they're cheaper than 3 cents), Kennedy Halves (I think it's cool how they went through so many changes over the years in terms of composition), Peace Dollars (the most recent true silver dollar ... after these I'll go to Morgans), Eisenhower SBA and Sacagawea Dollars (for some reason I just really like dollar coins), and the $1 Silver Bullion (even though I don't like Walking Liberty Halves nearly as much as I think most people do, I really like this coin).

Obviously some of the above series (all 8 of them) will be easier than others due to cost and length of the series. I want to do the Flying Eagles, 2-cents, Kennedy halves business strikes, Peace dollars, Eisenhower business strikes, Sacagawea business strikes, and silver bullion proofs in the raw. I want to do Kennedy halves proofs, Eisenhower proofs, SBA, and silver bullion business strikes slabbed. And then the Sacagawea dollar proofs I already have in proof year sets.

I chose these series for the reasons listed above, and because most of them represent denominations that either are no longer made today, or are a denomination that SHOULD circulate but don't (due to reasons that are better left to another thread). I also really like dollars and half dollars ... and double eagles but those are too rich for my blood right now.

So based on this, I guess I'm asking: Am I weird in how I collect? How do you collect? How do you choose what to buy next? I especially think this thread could be useful to beginners.

sounds like a plan, may have just answered your question. I chose lincoln wheats and mercuries because i liked the look of the coin. I am know thinking franklins for my next series because the series is not lengthy.

I collect: 1) what I find interesting/attractive; 2) what I can afford; and, 3) what's available.

I think it's good to have a range of coins to collect - when one series isn't really available (VF Walkers from the 1920s, say), it's nice if something else you like (Bust halves in XF) is.

I've worked on several series that I've liked. I'm always on the look out for sharp coins that appeal to me and either upgrade or add to my collection. I am focused now on Capped Bust Halves.

if i was collecting

i would buy

historical

value

opportunity

really scarce

classic usa/territorial/colonial type coinage

KILLER/MONSTER EYE APPEAL thumbsup2.gif

and what i liked to collect thumbsup2.gif

and posted here is an example of what sums up all of the above in a coin cloud9.gif

My primary interest is Morgan $'s. I've been enamored by them since 1957, but I foolishly sold my early collection in the mid-70's. Boy, was that a mistake! I renewed my interest in collecting the Morgan $ about 12 years ago, and I collect them in several sub-groups: 1) VAM's 2) Toned 3) DMPL 4) Die Clashes 5) All other.

Naturally, the internet has made it much easier to search for them. On any given day, there are a few thousand listings on eBay, and I've had moderate success in obtaining nice specimens in all five categories at reasonable prices. I've developed a "Favorite Sellers Watch List" and I'm notified immediately whenever a seller introduces new listings. This takes some of the tedium out of scrolling through page after page of junk. Another source that I've used is American Coin & Stamp Brokers (ACSB). They conduct blind auctions once a month; their descriptions have been pretty accurate, and I usually bid on 10-15 every few months. So far, my success rate with ACSB has been near 80%.

It would be nice to be able to put together a complete set of every year and mintmark in MS, but that would be very difficult for me because of the rising costs of some of the key dates. So, I'm content with searching for the above categories. Surprisingly, most of my acquisitions fall into the 5th category. I don't want anyone to think that the 5th category is any less important than the other four, because these are the coins that are the ones I classify as "just gotta have".

I would imagine that every serious collector of modest means has gone through periods of frustration in their endeavors to build their collection. You find a coin that is perfect for your collection only to lose an auction by a few dollars; or, you find one that is priced so high that it is impossible to obtain. To overcome the frustration, I have other collecting interests to occupy my time: So-Called Dollars, French medals and U.S. Mint subscriptions.

Since the inception of the States Quarters program, I have expanded my Mint subscriptions to include silver & clad proof sets, silver & clad states quarters proof sets, mint sets, states quarters bags & rolls, Kennedy bags & rolls, Sacagawea rolls, nickel bags & rolls and Proof Silver American Eagles. Later this year when the Mint begins selling the UNC Eagles, I'll add them to my subscription list. It takes alot of time going through all of the Mint issues, but it's fun. You never know when you're going to come across that "one-in-a-million" error coin or the "Top Pop".

No matter where your collecting interests may lie, I think that every collector should have avenues to divert their attention and "blow off steam". By the way, I'm still looking for the 1981 ANA 3-medal set to complete the 1969-1982 series. If anyone should happen to find one, please let me know.

Most important of all, and this has been reiterated on these boards time and time again, "buy what you like and can afford!"

Chris

If you read what Michael wrote in his first post then you will get a glimpse of how my collection continually evolves.

If you read what Michael wrote in his first post then you will get a glimpse of how my collection continually evolves.

I can make a first hand assesment as to Tom's Collection! He sold me some coins that are just stunning. smile.gif

Wow, looks like I'm not weird in that it seems as if most other peoples' interests are all over the place, as well. I'm glad that my interests are varied because, as some people pointed out with their replies, it allows one to collect what they like at the time, is affordable at the time, and is available at the time.

I'm not at the point where I can specialize as much as Chris (AKA I don't have a complete enough collection of anything except really modern stuff so that I can concentrate on the rarer varieties), but that's my eventual goal!