• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die Variety News is now available on-line in PDF format

7 posts in this topic

I am extremely pleased to announce that my Die Variety News newsletter is now available on-line in Adobe Acrobat PDF file format. This allows the reader to view Die Variety News in hi-resolution and affords a detailed, crystal-clear printing quality. Please click the below link to the home page portal for Die Variety News newsletter. On this home page portal is information about upcoming issues as well as provides the link to the inaugural issue of on-line Die Variety News in PDF file format. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope you enjoy viewing this free issue. Subsequent issues of on-line Die Variety News newsletter will require a subscription and accessed via a confidential password that will be provided to paid subscribers.

Click for the inaugural on-line issue of Die Variety News home page portal

I'm hard at work on the next issue of Die Variety News which will have more pages, more varieties, more photos, errors, world varieties and educational articles for collectors.

I wish you all the best in your collecting endeavors.

If any of you are having problems reading my Die Variety News newsletter in .pdf file format -- here is what you need to do. This is the same type of .pdf file that Mike Byers (well-known error coins dealer) uses for his Mint Error News which is located at www.minterrornews.com.

To open a .pdf file it requires a small program called Adobe Reader. I'm running Windows ME -- so I have Adobe Reader version 6.0. This also applies to Windows 95 and 98 OS.

If your running Windows 2000 or XP then you will need Adobe Reader version 7.0. If your running Mac or some other OS they (Adobe) list which one you need for that particular OS system.

The Adobe home page is www.adobe.com. On their home page towards the left of the page is a little icon that say Get Adobe Reader. Click on this icon which will take you to the next page and which will automatically determine which version of Adobe Reader you need for your particular OS system. You have not downloaded anything it -- its just determining which Adobe Reader you need for your system.

The download is free and is virus free from Adobe. They (Adobe) also make the software programs that we are very familiar with such as Adobe PhotoShop. The download is a very small file that when you click on it after on your HD -- it will then download the 6.0 or 7.0 (depending on your OS) to your HD. You will then go thru the usual install steps we have all seen before.

Once you have Adobe Reader on your putter -- you then can click on my .pdf file for Die Variety News and it will open up in crystal-clear, detailed pages in the program. You can even zoom or decrease the look as well as print out any or all pages. What I recommend is to right click on my link (in the first post above) to the .pdf for DVN and save to your HD. This inaugural issue is right at 4 megs (14 pages). The next issue I'm currently working on is 20 pages and is still around 5 megs total.

If you have any question or problems on what to do -- you can contact me at: dievarieties@sc.rr.com

Billy! AHH! Please say it is not so.... Windows ME? Eeverytime I hear that OS's name it makes me cringe. This is not a slam on you, but the OS has gotta go if you ask me. and a big THANKS to you for making this available.

Billy! AHH! Please say it is not so.... Windows ME? Eeverytime I hear that OS's name it makes me cringe. This is not a slam on you, but the OS has gotta go if you ask me. and a big THANKS to you for making this available.

Bruceswar: What can I say -- it works for me and I haven't had any problems with that OS. Hmm .. knock on monitor -- err wood!

Chris: Glad to hear you got it working for you.

To help clarify further -- the next issue of DVN (Vol. 1 No. 2 July 2006) will be a paid subscriber issue. The issue will be uploaded and a link provided to the same home page web site that the inaugural issue of DVN is located now. However, the July DVN issue will require a confidential "password" to open the .pdf file. The inaugural issue is a free issue and did not have a "password" protection so anybody could view it. I will send the confidential "password" via separate correspondence to all who have paid subscriptions.

For any of you that are wondering who have already paid their yearly subscription to DVN newsletter -- your subscription starts with the next July 2006 issue of the DVN newsletter. I also plan to do a separate, "end-of-the-year" bonus issue of the DVN newsletter that it will not count as part of the yearly subscription. That issue will be a summary for the year with a "best of" varieties for that year. It will also include a "cross-reference" index to all the issues making it easier to locate a particular article(s) and/or a particular die variety you want to reference to.

The "educational article" which will be in the shortly upcoming July 2006 issue of DVN -- I will make it a separate copy of those particular pages which will be provided also in a .pdf file on the same home page web site. The educational article segment will NOT require a "password" for opening. That particular educational article, as well as ALL future educational series articles, will be made available free to anybody who wants to view it and they can save it to their putters hard drive for future reference as they so desire.

edited to add: I also would like to extend an invitation for those of you would might like to consider writing a guest article in DVN newsletter. Future issues of DVN will have guest articles from well-known attributers and error experts. You can PM or e-mail me.

Also -- let me say this: I fully understand that a lot of what I'm talking about above needs to be on the BST forum, especially about subscriptions. Yes -- it does belong on that forum and I'm in the process of making a separate entry on the BST fourm about DVN Newsletter, how it works, subscriptions, etc., etc., on that forum. I only wanted to point out here in this post and on this forum about the free "educational series" articles that will be available to anybody who wants to view and save them. That is important information for everybody to know -- after all, education is power!

I sincerely thank all of you for letting me ramble on ...