• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Bought Myself a Birthday Present ...

5 posts in this topic

My birthday's on Sunday, May 14 (Mother's Day this year). I went to the coin store today (Friday) with the intention of spending near $100 for a present for myself. I was wanting a 2005 $10 gold proof bullion, but he didn't have any, so I was looking at the double eagles and asked if they were in my price range. When he said around $700, I said nevermind, but saw some half dollars in the case and when he asked what my price range was and I said around $100 he said, "Back away from that case."

To make a 40-minute-long story short, I ended up buying my first half cent and my second 2 cent.

He had the half cent graded F but I have to say that in my untrained opinion but using the ANA Grading Standards book I grade this a VF-20 due to the details in the hair, ribbon, and very clear "LIBERTY".

Unfortunately, the 2-cent has a fair amount of corrosion on the obverse. He had the 2 cent graded VF, and I think that's a fair assessment. In my collection, I only grade at VF-20 or EF-40, but I'm really tempted to say this is a VF-30.

I know they're not the best samples of their type (or year), but since I couldn't afford a double eagle for myself (yeah, I'm not worth much to myself flowerred.gif ), I opted for a coin that I didn't have anything like, and a coin that would be an addition to a relatively easy series to collect.

halfcent_reduced.jpg

2cent_reduced.jpg

2 pieces for a birthday! Cool Story and nice coins... You already know what the deal is on them, but I will add the 34 Half Cent is a nice album piece...Fine is about right maybe F 15 or F 18... just missed VF in my mind... Happy B-Day! Congrats

A belated happy birthday, Stuart!

Chris

But his birthday is tomorrow... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice coins and a very happy birthday!!

Zach