• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading criteria.................??

2 posts in this topic

Howdy,

I recently saw a question posed to PCGS in regards to how grades are determined. David Hall pretty much said that a coin's grade can only be as high as it's worst side would grade out. To me that means a coin with an obverse of MS66 and a reverse of MS64 could not be higher than MS64, so I assume PCGS feels that a median grade of MS65 isn't possible. Does NGC subscribe to the same philosophy?

**oh, and as a side note- I recently sent in a world coin submission. It was processed faster than the ten days estimated, shipped asap and in general the order was handled flawlessly. You guys rock, and really are the undisputed leader in world coins!

Thanks

Rob Bonaiuto

• Administrator

According to our graders:

When grading coins' of split grades, coins will often receive the grade of their lowest grade side. This, however, is not always the case. Some coins receive more weight for the grade of their obverses than their reverses. The Morgan dollar is the best example of such a coin. If a Morgan dollar's obverse is a couple points better in grade than its reverse, a final grade better than the reverse's grade is possible. By contrast, if the obverse grade is lower than the reverse's grade, the lower grade will be assigned to the coin in essentially every case (as to make this the rule).

I hope that this information is helpful. And thanks for the side note...