• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginner Question: 2x2 Cardboard flips

14 posts in this topic

Is there any risk of damage to a coin if it is stored long term in a 2x2 Cardboard flip?

Thanks

Other than toning.... nope not at all... Most all cardboard flips are fine...

Agreed - just be sure out that the staples don't scratch the coins.

I'd also recommend using the type of stapler that is advertised at some coin supply sites like JP's corner. I cheaped out and used a regular stapler when I was putting many of my coins in 2x2's, and I now wish I'd spent the $15-$20. It would make my 2x2's fit next to each other much more nicely in the boxes they're stored in. Only plus to the regular staples is they're a little easier to remove when you're taking out a coin.

Agreed - just be sure out that the staples don't scratch the coins.

I'd also recommend using the type of stapler that is advertised at some coin supply sites like JP's corner. I cheaped out and used a regular stapler when I was putting many of my coins in 2x2's, and I now wish I'd spent the $15-$20. It would make my 2x2's fit next to each other much more nicely in the boxes they're stored in. Only plus to the regular staples is they're a little easier to remove when you're taking out a coin.

Why use a stapler when clear scotch tape works fine with no risk of getting a staple scratch...

I have heard of 2X2's being made with PVC plastic. They're so stretchy that you can push your finger through it and the plastic will wrap around your finger like a glove. I think these are pretty uncommon, though. As for the staple thing, when you take a coin out of a 2X2, you should puncture the plastic between the edge of the coin and the holder with a toothpick or a pin, and then push the coin through the plastic*. Voilà...No staple problems! By the way, it's also a good idea to get one of those staplers that staple the ends flat or the staples could potentially scratch other coins.

*This won't work for cheapskates who reuse 2X2s grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Why use a stapler when clear scotch tape works fine with no risk of getting a staple scratch...

Well, if I had to guess, scotch tape adhesive is volatile - meaning you're going to get a slow release of chemical vapor right next to your coins. Also, as years go by, I'm willing to bet the scotch tape will become both brittle and less adhesive, so it's likely to release or crack - putting your coins at risk of simply dropping out of the 2x2 when it's picked up. Same goes for those nasty little self-adhesive 2x2s. Staples won't release after any number of years, unless they're rusted to heck and gone - and if your collection's been stored in a location wet enough to rust out your staples, you've got bigger problems than a few loose 2x2s.

I used tape for some 2x2's many years ago. After a while the tape did start to dry out and the coins started to fall out. Fortunately, I was even poorer then than now and the coins weren't worth much.

I also recomend carefully punching a hole in the mylar window to remove the coin. I used to try to pry the staples up but after I jabbed my finger a few times and scraped a coin or two with whatever I was prying with I decided that destroying a 2x2 was better than destroying my finger or a coin.

Some 2x2's tend to have cardboard dust on the mylar window from when they were cut. If these small carboard particles are left on the mylar next to the coin you could develop toning spots. Also be careful to not let tiny pinholes get in the mylar window as the coin will tone at the hole much faster leaving an odd toned spot.

I also advocate removing coins by puncturing the mylar and removing the coin through the hole. Often, you don't actually have to even puncture the plastic, you can just bend the 2x2, and the plastic will break. Obviously, this works better with the cheaper flips, and I wouldn't recommend it for really expensive coins (but I don't have any of those.)

For the staples, the problem I was having was that at first my mom had really cheap staples, and they would always bend. Once I got really good quality staples, I didn't have this problem any more. I wish that I had the square end stapler, but taking something and pushing the ends of the staple over works just as well (but again, be careful). This way, the 2x2s stack better, and they go into the album pages better.

If you are using a regular stapler I suggest getting a pair of pliers and squeezing the staples flat after you have put them in. They will stack well and you don't have to worry about the staples scratching another coin. I remove the coin by carefully cutting the plastic window around the coin with an Exacto knife. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE GOOD WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE - otherwise carefully pull the 2x2 apart and lift the coin out.

Hays

If you are going to puncture the mylar window, I suggest using a very sharp and finely pointed X-acto knife. It cuts through the plastic easily.

This is my solution for dealing with staples:

1) You can flatten them by using a pair of smooth-jawed pliers. Some pliers have ridges on the inside of the jaw for gripping and some are smooth for more delicate work. The smooth type does not leave as many impressions on the 2x2.

2) You can remove them with a blade-type staple remover. The jaw-type can easily rub against the coin or accidentally puncture the window with one of its fang-like points. The blade-type is smooth with rounded edges. You can use this by placing the tip of the blade under the staple and push it through toward the outer edge of the 2x2. If you happen to be a little clumsy, an old 2x2 can be placed over the face of the coin to protect it from unwanted accidents.

Chris

If you are using a regular stapler I suggest getting a pair of pliers and squeezing the staples flat after you have put them in. They will stack well and you don't have to worry about the staples scratching another coin. I remove the coin by carefully cutting the plastic window around the coin with an Exacto knife. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE GOOD WITH AN EXACTO KNIFE - otherwise carefully pull the 2x2 apart and lift the coin out.

Hays

Hays, I see we think alike.

Chris

I agree about using a pliers to flatten the staples. I use a standard stapler I (borrowed) from work. I use a very cheap pair of pliers so the overall cost is minimal. To remove coins, I now use what is known as a scissors and just cut between the staple and the window. Why take a chance cutting near the coins.

Just a dumb follow up story. Some years ago I purchased a MS64 1921S Lincoln Cent at a coin show. As soon as I got home I tried to remove the staples with a screw driver. Who knows why but the screw driver was facing the coin in the window. Yes, it slipped. Right accross the face of Lincoln. T frown.gifhe moral of this is to be carefull.