• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minimum grade

4 posts in this topic

A simple question. If I submitted coins to be graded, could I designate a minimum grade in order to be slabbed? I see there is a minimum grade column. For example, if I put PF69 in that column for the designated coins would that mean that coins graded 68 would just be sent back iin a sleeve?

• Administrator

Minimum grade is not required, and, if you want your coins encapsulated, we recommend that you leave this column blank.

If you specify a minimum grade higher than your coin’s actual grade, the coin will be returned to you in a flip with a label stating the grade assigned by NGC. The coin does not appear in our census, nor can its grade by verified in our online certification lookup. Its status shows as “deleted.” as graders do not know the minimums that you have requested and are graded identically to coins with no minimum specified. The only difference occurs during encapsulation. The NGC guarantee does not apply to coins that did not meet their minimum grade and were not encapsulated.

Also, if you would like to have such a coin that did not meet its minimum grade encapsulated, it must be sent in for grading, and regular grading fees apply.

Its status shows as “deleted.” as graders do not know the minimums that you have requested and are graded identically to coins with no minimum specified.

Scott,

That's interesting... Do the graders have any indication of other attrobutes of the coin when they are grading? For instance, Can they tell:

- Submitter?

- Grading Tier?

- Assigned value of the coin?

- Channel the coin was Submitted through? Specifically whould they know the coin originated from a submission through NCS, direct from a dealer, or from a collector's club member?

When the coins enter the grading room they are in bar-coded flips, in a bar-coded box. The barcode links to the submission form. The coins’ owners and submitters are anonymous to the graders. Each box is labeled with the corresponding tier. The coins insured value is unknown by the grader.

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor