• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has put together a Washington QTR Set or is putting one together?

41 posts in this topic

If so, what kind? I would like to find out who the others I don't already know are.... I am building an MS set myself....

I have a plain circulated to BU set in whitman folders (last count 5 folders!) that I completed a few years back. Now I just add the new state quarters to keep it up to date.

My set is being upgraded from a complete set of circulated coins collected when I was a boy. My goal is 1932-38 in AU/BU and 1939 - present BU only. Many coins from the 40's and 50's have been from the "Omaha Bank Hoard". However, all coins have been liberated from their plastic encasements and now reside in my Dansco albumns.

I still have some work to do. Coins that remain to be upgraded include:

1932-S, 1935-D, 1936-P, 1936-D, 1937-D, 1937-S

1938-P, 1939-P, 1940-D, 1940-S, 1943-S, 1945-P

1945-D, 1950-S, 1951-P, 1956-D

I think any set complete date/mint mark set of Washington Quarters is an accomplishment!

I have a complete Set to present day Mostly RAW - VF20 to high MS .. I am sure you can tell which ones are VF20 smile.gif -

Highlights are

32d / 32s VF20 - 32p au

36/37/38 p MS Grade

39/40/41 High MS

45d/ 46 /46s /47/d MS Grade

54p / 55p High MS

68d-98d High MS

Took a lot of work to assemble but I look at it often as the prize it is ...

The Early years are in a Dansco Brown binder from 32- 98

The States are in Dansco Browns also ... However most of the Proofs in the State commemorative series are still in Proof Set boxes From 99-2006

This is a nice thread thanks for letting me tell you about it.

I do have a complete Mercury too 1916d and overdate 41/42 .. but I am sure that would be a different thread smile.gif

Bruce----Put two complete sets together as a kid from change. Naturally the years from 57--58 to 64 ended up being unc coins [ as that was easy to do then]. I could not find the 32D or S coins. So, oneday on a trip to downtown Baltimore we visited the coin shop. My grandmother bought me my first 32D in good condition for 5 bucks. Still have the coin and the envelope that it came in. Amazing how you remember such things. Still have both sets.

Have bought other sets---when I have purchased coins over the years. You do seem to accumulate such things. On a better note, Tom B showed my son and myself some of the prettiest Washingtons that you could ever see when he came South over the Winter Baltimore Show. Toned NT beauties. Bob [supertooth]

At one time I had a really nice, raw MS set, but someone bought nearly all of them. wink.gif

Hey Bob-

On a better note, Tom B showed my son and myself some of the prettiest Washingtons that you could ever see when he came South over the Winter Baltimore Show. Toned NT beauties.

Woo-Hoo! 893applaud-thumb.gif

At one time I had a really nice, raw MS set, but someone bought nearly all of them. wink.gif

Hey Bob-

On a better note, Tom B showed my son and myself some of the prettiest Washingtons that you could ever see when he came South over the Winter Baltimore Show. Toned NT beauties.

Woo-Hoo! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I wonder who that someone is smile.gif

I think this set I am building is turning out really great... with some help from a board member.. Here is a list of what I got so far....

1932 MS65

1932-D AU55 -- Only AU coin in the set....

1934 MS66

1934-D MS64

1935 MS66

1935-S MS65 (Reverse Coin)

1935-S MS65

1936-S MS64

1937 MS66

1937-D MS65

1938 MS65

1938-S MS66

1939 MS65

1939-D MS66

1940 MS66

1940-S MS65

1941 MS66

1941-D MS65

1941-S MS65

1942 MS65

1942-D MS66

1942-S MS65

1943 MS66

1943-D MS65

1943-S MS64

1944 MS65

1944-D MS66

1944-S MS66

1945 MS65

1945-D MS65

1945-S MS65

1946 MS65

1946-D MS66

1946-S MS66

1947 MS66

1947-D MS65

1947-S MS65

1948 MS64

1948-S MS66

1950 MS65

1950-D MS66

1950-S MS66

1951 MS65

1951-D MS65

1951-S MS66

1952 MS65

1952-S MS66

1953 MS66

1953-D MS65

1953-S MS65

1954 MS66

1954-D MS66

1954-S MS66

1955 MS65

1955-D MS65

1956 MS66

1956-D MS64

1957 MS65

1957-D MS65

1958 MS66

1958-D MS65

1959 MS65

1959-D MS65

1960 MS65

1960-D MS65

1961 MS66

1961-D MS65

1962 MS65

1962-D MS65

1963 MS66

1963-D MS66

1964 MS66

1964-D MS64

I've been working on the clad set with varieties since '72 but am to the point now that it's probably going to take some cash to complete or upgrade it. I still lack all the major doubled dies and rarely am able to upgrade anything any more. Once in a long while I can upgrade the 1991 to '98 issues but it's rare. I'll start on the states issues one of these days just to get current again.

I'm really pretty proud of the set and there is a lot of work in it.

i'd be interested in the details of your set, cladking.. you could write a 10 page post about your quarters and i'd enjoy every bit of it wink.gif

all i know about '65-'98 is what's in the cherrypickers book, an '85P small bust (?), and that '83's are hard to find in true BU due to no mint sets that year... there's got to be more meat in there that i'm oblivious to..

if you feel like typing, no biggie :-)

Bruce----Put two complete sets together as a kid from change. Naturally the years from 57--58 to 64 ended up being unc coins [ as that was easy to do then]. I could not find the 32D or S coins. So, oneday on a trip to downtown Baltimore we visited the coin shop. My grandmother bought me my first 32D in good condition for 5 bucks. Still have the coin and the envelope that it came in. Amazing how you remember such things. Still have both sets.

Have bought other sets---when I have purchased coins over the years. You do seem to accumulate such things. On a better note, Tom B showed my son and myself some of the prettiest Washingtons that you could ever see when he came South over the Winter Baltimore Show. Toned NT beauties. Bob [supertooth]

Great story.... And I think I know abit about Tom's Monster Quarters! They are a sight to see.. even the untoned ones are beauties

I have a complete Set to present day Mostly RAW - VF20 to high MS .. I am sure you can tell which ones are VF20 smile.gif -

Highlights are

32d / 32s VF20 - 32p au

36/37/38 p MS Grade

39/40/41 High MS

45d/ 46 /46s /47/d MS Grade

54p / 55p High MS

68d-98d High MS

Took a lot of work to assemble but I look at it often as the prize it is ...

The Early years are in a Dansco Brown binder from 32- 98

The States are in Dansco Browns also ... However most of the Proofs in the State commemorative series are still in Proof Set boxes From 99-2006

This is a nice thread thanks for letting me tell you about it.

I do have a complete Mercury too 1916d and overdate 41/42 .. but I am sure that would be a different thread smile.gif

Sounds like a great set! when you say High MS MS65 and above?

My set is being upgraded from a complete set of circulated coins collected when I was a boy. My goal is 1932-38 in AU/BU and 1939 - present BU only. Many coins from the 40's and 50's have been from the "Omaha Bank Hoard". However, all coins have been liberated from their plastic encasements and now reside in my Dansco albumns.

I still have some work to do. Coins that remain to be upgraded include:

1932-S, 1935-D, 1936-P, 1936-D, 1937-D, 1937-S

1938-P, 1939-P, 1940-D, 1940-S, 1943-S, 1945-P

1945-D, 1950-S, 1951-P, 1956-D

I think any set complete date/mint mark set of Washington Quarters is an accomplishment!

Good luck on the upgrades, some of the coins left are monsters.. How did you fair on the 55 D, 48 D, and 52 S? Omaha Hoard? Grades? I would love to see pics of the set..

It's funny you should ask - I just picked up a 1937-S candidate in an ANACS-64 holder for my BU set. I am lacking the first four keys to the set - 1932-D, S, 1936-D and 1937-S, but otherwise, it is complete, and no coin grades below MS-65.

Actually, the 1937-S that I picked up is a bit of a letdown compared to the other coins. It really is an MS-64, but the other coins stretch out so far above this one that I'm having a tough time deciding to crack it out and add it to the album. I may hold out for a gem. Here's an image:

j1937s06.jpg

I am working on a parallel set in MS-63, and perhaps this coin will end up there. So currently, I'm working on two UNC sets, both in albums. My primary set includes 1932 - 1998, and INCLUDES every proof issue, including 1936 - 1998, as well as the SMS coins. Including the proofs like this really adds something to the set.

My seconday set will be only the silver business-strike issues.

About a year ago, I completed my VF/EF set, but decided to sell it to free up some cash for the UNC sets. They new owner is extremely happy with the set, as I matched every coin carefully.

James

Your collecting goal is incredibly ambitious, James, but it looks like you are almost there! 893applaud-thumb.gif I like the 1937-S as an MS64 because the reverse looks a bit ticky around the eagle. It is a thoroughly attractive coin, however. thumbsup2.gif

James is working on great sets! One day I would love to see what you have in your top set... I bet its a real stunner...

Bruce, you need to get that collection up on your web page.

I know it would be a lot of work, but I for one would like to see it.

I am working on getting it up. I have photoed the first half of the set, minus a coin or 2, but the back half still needs to be photoed.... I will post it as soon as its ready... I am sure many others will want to see it as well...

I am working on getting it up. I have photod the first half of the set, minus a coin or 2, but the back half still needs to be photoed.... I will post it as soon as its ready... I am sure many others will want to see it as well...

It's a pain in the arse to be sure.

That's why I've farmed out my coin photography to Hayden.

I just can't be bothered. But hey, more power to ya.

I am working on getting it up. I have photod the first half of the set, minus a coin or 2, but the back half still needs to be photoed.... I will post it as soon as its ready... I am sure many others will want to see it as well...

The pain in the arse is the fact they all reside in a capitol plastic holder... getting them in and out safely is the pain... Other than that... just the time it takes, which I don't mind... but it will be a thing of beauty when photoed... and I will be on a different host with it so no more "Page Exceeded the limits" Wish me luck... Photo taking and coins can mix smile.gif

The pain in the [embarrassing lack of self control] is the fact they all reside in a capitol plastic holder... getting them in and out safely is the pain... Other than that... just the time it takes, which I don't mind... but it will be a thing of beauty when photoed... and I will be on a different host with it so no more "Page Exceeded the limits" Wish me luck... Photo taking and coins can mix smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Waiting with baited breath (not being facetious).

I'd love to see that collection.

The pain in the [embarrassing lack of self control] is the fact they all reside in a capitol plastic holder... getting them in and out safely is the pain... Other than that... just the time it takes, which I don't mind... but it will be a thing of beauty when photoed... and I will be on a different host with it so no more "Page Exceeded the limits" Wish me luck... Photo taking and coins can mix smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Waiting with baited breath (not being facetious).

I'd love to see that collection.

I think I am going to enjoy taking photos of it and posting it as much as you and other will enjoy looking at it...

I re-shot the 1937-S in the image several posts up. The new one is far more accurate.

This would be the worst coin in my GEM MS-65 set - and nearly the best in my MS-63 set, so it's kind of an oddball right now - I haven't gotten up the gumption to crack it out yet 27_laughing.gif!

James

This set may not sound very impressive when described. Most of the coins are pretty high grade and I've looked at lots and lots of rolls, bags, and mint sets. A few are even circulated because I just can't find them in unc. I've put a lot of effort into some coins and my efforts never really paid off and some others just fell into my lap. Despite many years of concentrating on the '69 I've simply never found that special coin. My best is pretty good but it's just a little better than my second best. Then there are other coins that are just head and shoulders better than anything else I've seen. Coins like '66, '68, '69-D, '70, '74, '77-D, '81-P, '81-P type "d", '82-P, '86-P, and '90-D. I also have a very impressive '82-D type "d" reverse.

I also have most of the set in PL and will assemble that set one of these days.

I am patiently trying to complete a set of Washingtons that I started in my childhood and now reside in a Dansco. I only need the 32-D, 32-S, and 37-S to complete it...Mike

I have been trying to put an UNC/AU set together for about 4 years now. It is just hard to shell out the big bucks for the early dates. I only need 9 coins though to complete. They are the usuals, 32D & S, 34D, 35D & S, 36D, 37S, 39S, 40D. I have the 32S, 34D, and 35S, but those are some that I would like to upgrade. I have started looking again for these since I got my Jeff Nickels and Roosy dimes done. Started a real nice Franklin set.

My question is, I keep all my coins in Dansco albums, some are starting to tone. Should I send in my quarters and get them graded or leave them in the album and store them in a safe or something.

Thanks everyone.....This forum is great..