• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Barber Half Down, one to go for second tier set...

18 posts in this topic

After completing a choice AU/MS set of Barber Halves, I decided to start another collection in F15 thru AU 53. This is the second to the last date I needed for this second set. Most of the coins I've collected are in VF 30-35 and this is the latest addition. Its surprisingly scarce and I was pleased to have landed it. It sure will look good in my new Dansco album !

Your thoughts would be appreciated, as I usually never buy a coin in a PCI holder. It just looked so good, I couldn't resist.

Attached image.

1224610-1897PhalfPCIau53obverseHolderedImage.JPG.6620da32970764c26cd099583493c706.JPG

That's a whale of an accomplishment to finish two sets of Barber halves! thumbsup2.gif I've also found the 1897 to be extremely tough in original, mid-grades and mine is an EF40. There is no good image of it handy, but Coin Values magazine uses my 1897 as their definition and illustration of the EF40 grade. Other P mints that were much tougher for me than might be expected include the 1893, 1898 and 1908.

The 1897-P is the second to last coin I need to complete this second tier set

The last coin needed to complete this set will remain a "secret" until a later date. There will be a thread at a later date about which coin was the last coin needed to complete this set.

TomB, the 1903-P & the 1908-P are extremely difficult to locate in higher circulated condition. The above attachment is my 1908 from my primary set. Just have the obverse image; care to guess the grade - no cheating now by looking up my first tier set.

893naughty-thumb.gif

---------------------

Mike

1225648-1908PBarberHalfPCGSms65.jpg.9d72b94337e7e51e4d2c04c7a518cb81.jpg

I'd say I have a bit of a fasination with the 1908, here's an AU 50, from Tyler Child's collection...

1225654-1908.jpg.bd893c450ccc178034a7d791d03e4fad.jpg

acclaim.gifCongrats, Mike, for two magnificent accomplishments!! acclaim.gif

You are now, hereby, awarded the:

~~~ BIG DAWG AWARD ~~~

caleb.jpg

Another duplicate that I couldn't pass up. This one is also destined to be cracked out for the Dansco album.

Image courtesy of Dave Mayle from his Ebay auction.

Attachment: 1896-O Barber Half. ANACS AU 55.

[ Holder says cleaned, neither Dave nor I can see any cleaning hairlines; coin looks very original ]

1229559-1896OHalfANACSau55obverse.JPG.86896b64fbc7b99f7c3358e301d72975.JPG

That ANACS coin looks quite nice for being cleaned. thumbsup2.gif

100% agree... not even sure its cleaned

It looks cleaned to me, just not harshly. I think that it was dipped and not neutralized properly.

The coin arrived this afternoon. Here's my take on it:

Obverse has AU 53 Details. There is swirling luster under the medium grey toning. I would say the toning is NT. The fields in front of and behind Liberty's head have been "wiped" however the rest of the devices are untouched. There are minor hairlines but I can fully understand why ANACS wouldn't holder this otherwise choice coin.

Reverse is a solid AU 55. Uncleaned and very original. The luster is a touch stronger on the reverse than on the obverse. Its an equal to my NGC AU 55 and PCGS AU 55.

This coin is the perfect fit for my Dansco raw album. ( Thanks L.D. !! ) thumbsup2.gifheadbang.giftakeit.gif

1235290-1896OHalfANACSau55obverse.JPG.07efaf5caab8e27fd64aa0cb2cc5dde6.JPG

Completing a Barber Half set in AU/MS is by itself amazing. I considered building one some years ago and never found enough nice AU material to make it seem doable. Some of the dates were just not to be found in nice AU.