• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Barber Quarter Down...one to go

12 posts in this topic

I just won a 1902-O Barber Quarter in choice AU, which looks AU 55 to 58 from the scans. The seller on Ebay said it was a MS 62. From the images, there seems to be rub on the high points. Although I paid high AU money for it, I was happy to have located one at all.

Attached is its image, any imput from anyone interested in this series would be appreciated. I hope to have it certified in the next few months.

1224602-1902OQuarterRawAU58obverseLGimage.JPG.015bff4a83caa97160f12503e5187353.JPG

coin looks nice, but for some reason from the images I can't help but think lightly cleaned.... please tell me I am wrong...

coin looks nice, but for some reason from the images I can't help but think lightly cleaned.... please tell me I am wrong...

I was thinking the exact same thing. For your sake, I hope they aren't. That would be just too bad, especially for such a nice set.

I also had a sneaking suspicion that the coin was cleaned slightly; only because the seller mentioned that the coin was a MS 62. The lines I saw in the image were - I hoped - circulation caused and the high points seemed to have some rub; therefore my estimation of an AU 55-58 grade.

We all know how difficult it is to judge a coin by its image. Once I have the coin in hand, I'll be able to better determine its true grade.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed..... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And, yes, the last coin needed is - what else ? - the 01-S frustrated.gif

If you are putting this coin in an album - and it does indeed look like an ideal album coin - fret not. It should retone nicely. Although original coins are always best, sometimes, the horrors of a very light cleaning (or dip) can be overstated, especially when the coin in question will have an opportunity to retone. Many of the most beautifully toned coins in the world were cleaned at one time.

I think you picked up a fantastic coin!

James

Coin arrived this afternoon.

Its cleaned. Luster almost stripped off completely.

All hairlines are all in the same direction.

Up close & personal, its an AU50-53.

"Return to Sender" ...as the song goes.