• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple new additions to my type set, one even michael might like!

10 posts in this topic

I got these about a week ago to add to my type set, I won't post the grades as I thought it might be fun to guess:

1880p3cobv.JPG

1880p3crev.JPG

1909p1cobv.JPG

1909p1crev.JPG

Sweet, Jeff! Now you're talking my lingo! I love types.

Looks like the 3CN is MS65. Probably missed 66 because of the tick on the reverse field.

The '09 VDB is probably aslo MS65 Red. Nice coin but for the carbon spotting on the reverse. I still need this coin. I want a PCGS MS66 red. If anyone out there has one for sale then I'd be interested in a PM. Thanks.

PR66 with gorgeous, glacier-ice blue tissue toning

Victor, you nailed the cent, it's in an old NGC holder (hence no copper guarantee), and my guess is that the shmutz on the reverse developed in the holder. It was graded MS-65 RD. The 3CN is graded PR-65 by PCGS, and I still can't figure out the difference between this coin and a business strike! Either way it's still a pitifully low mintage issue.

Well, I don't really mean to rain on your parade, but I don't like the toning on the reverse of the 09VDB. These coins are plentiful in MS65 RD with no distracting toning, but I suspect the coin looks much better in hand.

The two-cent looks very weakly-struck on the obverse, but that may again be an effect of the pic - perhaps not the right focus. Still, a proof two-cent nickel is always a wonderful thing.

I'm sorry for being critical, and I hope you enjoy the coins as part of your type set.

i love the lincoln cent one of the most popular usa coins of all times and also i think 893scratchchin-thumb.gif the only pre 1950 federally issued coin that has the designers initals on the reverse in such a prominant position also a one year type coin like that

your proof 65 is superb and has the eye appeal and surfaces at least from the photo of a proof 66 and is a rare coin in ms gem ms for me it is hard to tell ms from proof but out of the holder with the squared rims it is a noi brainer proof but in the holder you cant tell but with such a wide flat rim looks proof to me and many of these later proofs were struck from worn dies and many just given one strike off of the proof die 893whatthe.gif not the usual two but this coin the three cent nick is a wonderful way above average eye appeal coin a fantastiuc type coin and totally undervalued opportunity coin hail.gifcloud9.gifhail.gif

i love both!! and yes in an older ngc holder those sulfur laden tags and no buffer between tag and coin many red coins and blast white morgans do tone a little but since ngc does not guarantee the color designation on copper in these holders it is a non entity for them but this coin is still an extremely wywe appealing red coin and wait till 2009 thumbsup2.gif

also i think 2009 will be the last year of the lincoln cent for biz strike 893whatthe.gif what a way to go out 100 years

i guess only time will tell

both superb valuem opportunity coins that have great eye appeal are historical classic usa coinage and if i owned these coins i could easily sleep at night as out of their repspctive holders they are worth as much and maybe with the proof three center more if someone thinks it is a proof 66 and not that it matters but it is still a reality in my minds eye

cloud9.gifmakepoint.gif

Well, that clears up the issue of the weak strike on the 1880 for me.

Michael has spoken. cloud9.gif

I've gotta stand by my analysis of the 09, though.

Jazzy, don't worry about being critical, it's a free country! And besides, two different opinions are what make a market after all. I agree on the 09 to an extent, there are probably a lot of nicer ones, but this was an opportunistic acquisition. The 3-cent is near the top of my list of favorite coins though, and in person the coin is much better than the photos. There is some weakness in the strike, but a lot of the marks in the photo are on the slab, not the coin, making the surfaces extremely clean for a 126 year old coin!

michael, thank you as always for your input! I never knew about the squared rims, so I will have to get my loupe out tonight and look. Either way, this coin is a low mintage issue and a real value, since no one seems to be paying much attention to 3-cents right not (and that's the best place to buy, where no one is paying attention!).

James, my type set is somewhat modest (at least that's what the NGC prices seem to suggest), but I admit it's kind of a secondary focus compared to my Saint set. I seem to just find coins that I need when I am not really looking and just add them. I suppose I could make a lot more progress if I tried, but I sort of like the serendipity approach for this set. Anyhow, here is a link to the rest of the set, I tried to include as many photos as I could: My USA type set