• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Coin Show

10 posts in this topic

A couple weeks ago our local coin club had our annual coin show, and for the first time I decided to do a display for the show. It was an educational display on the history of the double eagle, from the gold rush to today's paper double eagles. The display won best in show among all the displays (which included displays of Roman silver, a complete set of Liberty Nickels, a display of wooden nickels and a display of circulated and uncirculated Peace dollars). Well, I got some photos from our club historian and thought I might share them with you. It was a fun display to build, but I copied the measurements of the locking cases wrong and ended up with a display about 40% too big! I brought a box cutter with me just in case, so I ended up with two display cases instead of one, so it all worked out fine. I got a certificate and ribbon, as well as a $25 cash prize, and everyone who did a display got a 2006 silver eagle too. Very fun, and I highly recommend getting involved in your local coin club for just these kinds of experiences!

display1.JPG

display2.JPG

That's very cool! I gather from the way those Peace dollars are stacked that the displays were laid flat on a table, and not hung on a wall. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes Tom, they were flat on a table in a separate exhibit area from the dealer tables. The stacks of peace dollars were to illustrate the 16:1 silver to gold ratio (15.47 oz. of silver in the 20 dollars was exchangeable for 0.9675 oz of gold in the Saint).

That is a VERY nice display, and congratulations on your award! Your display reminds me of the science fair projects I did with my dad's enthusiastic assistance. Fond memories there. wink.gif

Beijim