• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Mechanical Errors" (aka mislabeled slabs)

7 posts in this topic

Are "Mechanical Error" slabs regraded or is the label just changed? I just recently returned a mislabeled FL quarter (labeled WI on the slab) that was graded PF-70 UC... I'd really hate to lose the PF-70 grade... grin.gif

This is the 2nd time in 6 months that it's happened -- the first time I caught it before NGC shipped it and was able to call in and stop it...

Well, the grade was for a WI quarter, so how do you know the FL quarter is actually PF70? Are you thinking they got the grade for the FL quarter on the label but accidently typed WI? I really doubt that. The grade was for a WI quarter. They'll have to grade your FL quarter and get the correct label on the coin. I sure wish you well on getting that PF70 though. Please keep us posted on this. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Jonathan

If you're a Collector's Society member, you can log in and use the "Verify Certification" feature on the "Coins" menu to see whether NGC believes this coin is for Florida or Wisconsin.

I received back a Buffalo nickel whose label read "35c" instead of "5c". The labeled grade was, however, correct.

Beijim

I sure wish you well on getting that PF70 though. Please keep us posted on this. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Jonathan

PF-70 UC!! yay.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

i don't believe that the FL/WI problem means that simply the wrong slip was put in the holder. and considering that a 5c was tagged with a 35c, i am guessing that there is not authentic 35c piece out there iwth a 5c tag. similarly, i had a $10 LIbr of Congress comm tagged by PCGS as 2000-P instead of 2000-W (and there were none of those errors made by the mint).

my GUESS would be that when the grader typed up the card, s/he simply typed in teh wrong state. if in doubt, send it back to be reholdered with a request that the grade not be lowered. or, simply call/email ngc and ask what the situation is. when i've called them, they've been very helpful.

good luck, and may the 70s be with you.