• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Struck 82-CC Morgan Found in GSA holder!!!(w/Pics)

23 posts in this topic

Did anyone get their copy of Coin World today? Appearently a dealer from Michigan bought a large amount of Silver Dollars in the original GSA holder and while searching through the batch he found an 1882-CC that had been double Struck with the first strike 5% off center, south of the correct location 893whatthe.gif It looks like a very cool error and according to NGC who graded it still encased in the original GSA holder, it is the most significant GSA error they have ever graded.

Chris Miner was the dealer that found the coin and he is planning to auction it off later this year so the question would be........how much do you think this coin will sell for????? thumbsup2.gif

The coin graded MS62....so pretty typical of a lot of the GSA coins.....baggy etc

Here are a few picture I took of the the images they showed in Coin World.......if I am not allowed to post these I will gladly remove them........

doublemorganlabel.jpg

doublemorganobv.jpg

doublemorganrev.jpg

This coin is going to hammer out for huge money since the doubling is so prenouced. The 5% offcenter will be a throw in for me as far as the price goes. I am not even going to guess the price, since I know people with lots of money will put down crazy money on the coin.

I got my copy last week on Friday, and decided the second I read the article that I HAD TO HAVE THAT COIN! Very extreme doubling, and a very nice find. I would have cracked it out of the GSA slab, however.

I think leaving it in the GSA holder will add a lot more value than you might suspect.......like the price could double since it's still in the holder. There are quite a few collectors that are fanatical about GSA holdered CC Morgans so this coin should be a hot one!!!

I think leaving it in the GSA holder will add a lot more value than you might suspect.......like the price could double since it's still in the holder. There are quite a few collectors that are fanatical about GSA holdered CC Morgans so this coin should be a hot one!!!

I completely agree, Don't crack this one out

I wonder why it wasn't submitted to Leroy Van Allen, first, for VAM designation? I would think that would add more to its value, and, I agree with Shane. It should be left in the GSA holder.

It would be a great addition to any collection, but I wouldn't sell the farm to get it. It will undoubtedly end up with someone who has nothing better to do with their "Fort Knox stash".

Chris

It wouldn't do any good to send it in as it's not a die variety but rather an error....the coin was struck 5% off center (1st strike) and then restuck centered, probably as it fell back into the correct collar position...............at least that was my take from reading the article but I will admit the my knowledge of errors is quite limited.

Interesting Find.... I dig it...

Its weird how only the top 10:00 to 12:00 portion of the face is double stamped... The Stars are not and it doesn't look like the "E Pluribus Unum" is doubled either...

I'd have thought the whole Obverse would be doubled as it all came off the same Die...

Keep in mind the the image isn't real clear so in hand I would imagine the secondary image would be more pronounced. If you look at the denticles below the date you can see where the second centered strike placed denticals on top of the first date struck on the coin....kinda looks like a shadow....pretty cool too! thumbsup2.gif

Shane,

Bree's first response was "Can we buy one?", my response was "Someone can buy it, but not us." Her next question was..."How often does that happen?"...my answer was "Let's ask Mr. Shane"

Emma said "I don't see it"...oh well, she is 5...she likes to hold coins and examine them in person more then looking at them on the screen (except for the toned ones that you posted...she LOVED those!)

Thanks for sharing!

Kelly

While errors like this are outside of my realm of expertise the article in coin World said that it's a pretty rare error especially when you consider that it's not on a 1921 Morgan.....which tells me that it was more frequently seen on 1921 dated Morgans but still doesn't mean it was common place.

If you consider that a normal GSA 1884-CC Morgan in MS62 could be had for probably $125-$150......this coin could sell for (I am guessing here) $5,000 dollars or more. So.....that should give you some indication of how often these turn up thumbsup2.gif

I personally have not seen a double struck Morgan before...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For what its worth this is the first CC in a GSA holder I have seen with such a big error in it. I have seen a few in my time..

If you consider that a normal GSA 1884-CC Morgan in MS62 could be had for probably $125-$150......this coin could sell for (I am guessing here) $5,000 dollars or more.

Shane, you meant 1882-CC, didn't you? According to my book, it's only worth $1.50 UNC......................oh!..................sorry!..................that's the 1960 Blue Book. takeit.gif

Chris

cloud9.gif

i love it and rare and still in the gsa holder so it can be documented all the way back till it was struck

i love it!!!!!!!!!!

how is that for a provanance

wild hail.gif

Quick question for the experts. If the first strike was "low" on the coin (remnants of the date in the denticles), why is the first strike image of the nose directly west and the first image also appears higher at the top of the head? Am I looking at this wrong??

Here are a few picture I took of the the images they showed in Coin World.......if I am not allowed to post these I will gladly remove them........

Coin World will beat you senseless when they find out.

How about these pictures instead:

0504_morgan_1_lg.jpg

0504_morgan_2_lg.jpg