• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hazing on 1928 $20 Saint PCGS MS66

2 posts in this topic

Hello friends,

I have a beautiful 1928 $20 Saint PCGS MS66 that is incredible looking with original skin, tons of deep variegated orange peel toning on both sides and nary a mark in the fields or on the devices, except for a 1mm hairline between two rays on the obverse, barely noticable without a loupe. It is certainly in the top 98-99% of PCGS 66 saints that I've ever seen. The only problem is the coin has some hazing, more so on the obverse yet slightly on the reverse as well. When held to the light straight on or at certain angles the hazing is not noticable, but looking at the coin on its side, i.e., laying flat, it is noticable. I hate the idea of cracking out a PCGS 66 Saint, or NGC graded too for that matter, especially one in original condition like this example but I am considering submiting to NCS, and then submitting to NGC for grading. I'm not looking for the upgrade, but it might grade a 67 at NGC or cross back over to PCGS after NCS has helped with the hazing. Any thoughts or concerns? I hate to lift the original skin off this beauty. Your expertise is very much appreciated in advance. Thank you.

From the sounds of your situation, this is a coin we would definately need to see in order to give you any concrete information on its conservation. It is possible to remove haze while retaining the toning on gold coins such as yours.

Your coin could be graded by NGC after the conservation.

Chris, NCS