• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody explain toned Morgan?

11 posts in this topic

Can somebody explain the toning on this Morgan of mine? It's strange the way the outline is close to the design at the top and farther away at he bottom. I am specifically interested in how the toning "jump" over the head and lands again with the same outline over near the rim under UNIM.

It's very strange & colorful. I can handle any criticism or negative remarks so feel free to reply. Thanks.....:)

589a8aeabc27b_175516-strangeobv.jpg.328a93caafbfc37981317ba4c0bfd770.jpg

Dog,

That coin looks like it may have been in one of those blue Whitman cardboard folders. They often toned completely on the reverse and on the periphery only on the obverse in those folders.

dragon

It does look like album toning to me as well. Then sulfer in the paper of the album surronding the coin starts the tarnishing (toning) process from the outside rims of the coin inward.

Dog97,

I agree with dragon, The coin looks like it sat in an old folder type holder. I like the tone, but is the coin as dark as the photo?

John

Wow, that's an amazing Morgan Dollar! Very interesting toning. I have to go with album toning as well. The only thing that made me hesitate was the weird shape of the rings. Perhaps it was stored in different albums over the years? Great piece, nonetheless.

Yep its Blue Whitman toning. I have a cent album, newer one and the coins are developing the same colors and patterns. I have seen that before on Whitman Blue albums.

Ah ha! I had a coin like that once. In rested in a Dansco foldout old album where the reverse was against the paper backing, and the obverse sat against another coin when folded. If I remember correctly, someone had placed a paper lable on the obverse somewhat shielding the obverse, forming a similar, but not exact pattern.

TRUTH

Hey thank you for that info guys! smile.gif I've never seen so many people in agreement about the same coin before.

For you who asked about the color it looks just like the picture. The colors aren't dark & thick but rather average thickness and lets the luster shine through. I think NGC was a bit hard on it since they only graded it MS62. The strike is decent and the only major mark worth mentioning is the bagmark on the forehead. The luster is a bit weak but weak strikes & dull luster is typical for this model so I can't see NGC holding that against it. I guess the brown color combined with the substandard luster was overall unappealing to the graders.

The weirdness appeals to me though. I like the off-the-wall stuff. smile.gif