• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collection location

34 posts in this topic

I have often wondered, where exactly do you all keep your collections?

Safety deposit box, at home, at work, in a safe, or locked desk drawer? Also, what about insurance? A lot of policies have a payout ceiling that, judging by some of the coins I see here, would probably exclude much of your collection from reimbursement. Of course you can still protect your collection by getting a rider on your policy. Has anyone done this?

You know, insurance might be a good topic for the “What you need to know” series. I’m not qualified to write it though.

I keep mine by my desk at work in a locked sorta filing cabinet thing. I’m a work much more than at home. Since I work at an art gallery I figure if a burglar broke in they would go for the artwork anyway.

Hays

I keep my collection under the bed, on the dresser, in the dresser, on the coffee table, on the kitchen counters, in the closet, and on the bookstand.

I keep my collection under the bed, on the dresser, in the dresser, on the coffee table, on the kitchen counters, in the closet, and on the bookstand.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Only because it's HUGE!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, there is plenty of room at my place...

Hays

All of my collection (except for the coins I carry daily) is under lock and key. I have 3 fireproof safes, a large locking woden box, a footlocker with pad lock, and a "locking" NGC storage box.

I keep mine in my desk, and in two albums on my bookshelf. I really don't have much, and it is not really that valuable. I agree that a general insurance topic would be good for a what you need to know, and one about storage as well.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Only because it's HUGE!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know, there is plenty of room at my place...

Hays

It's not that huge, I'm just a slob.

I have essentially no coins at home, but I rent out four safe deposit boxes in two banks to hold my collection and our important papers and electronic data. If you are a member of the ANA you may purchase coin collection insurance through their carrier, Hugh Wood, Inc, and the premiums are mighty small for the level of coverage obtained. If you want to be able to keep or travel with a certain amount of your collection on your person then their rates are also quite reasonable.

I keep the majority of my coins in a bank box. At any given time 90% of my collection is at the bank. The rest is either in a safe or scattered around. Most of the scattered around stuff is not worth much or very bulky.

10% of my collection is worth 90% of the value so those coins are in our bank deposit box with important papers.

That leaves the majority of my coins for me to enjoy and are scattered in books and desk drawers.

See, there is great value in owning low dollar value coins grin.gif

Regis

Living in South Florida, I am blessed with a variety of natural security measures. The swamp is chocked full of alligators. The cypress knees have become so dense that it is nearly impossible to navigate an air boat, flats boat or swamp buggy through the maze. Whenever we go fishing, we save a portion of our catch for the ospreys and eagles. Needless to say, they are very protective of their providers and don't take well to strangers. Their shrill cries are a natural alarm system. Anyone who tries to make their way through the swamp at night will find scattered hammocks of dry land, but we have taken the liberty of "seeding" thousands of fire ant nests. It has become nearly impossible to take a step in any direction without stepping on one of the nests. Since our home is totally surrounded by this habitat, we had to build a 5-mile long road to get to the house. This road is patrolled regularly by Florida panthers, black bears and a non-native species that was introduced to our area by owners who grew tired of their pets. It is the Nile monitor lizard. Because there is an unending food supply available for them and they have no natural enemies, some of these lizards have grown to 8-10' in length. They have a nasty temperament, and a terrible, bacteria-filled bite. If you meet one of these critters in the middle of the road, they will not give way and if you don't back away quickly, they are very apt to charge you. There are also rattlesnakes scattered throughout the area. We are constantly finding 6' remains of their shedded skin.

Anyone who wishes to visit us is welcome, but please give us advance notice. devil.gif

Chris

Sounds like mine! 27_laughing.gif

I have maybe 9000 coins, but since less than 10 are worth more than $100, I keep around half in my apartment and half at my parents' home (since I'm still transferring stuff from home). Their homeowner's insurance covers the coins I have there, and I got a separate rider on my apartment for the ones I have here. I'll be giving my insurance company a new list of what I have here this summer after I get finished sorting through some bags I bought. $80 a year to insure over $5000 in coins ain't bad.

Chris, I had entertained the thought of someday visiting you and you mom. Well, I've done reconsidered. grin.gif

Bulk stuff Like Silver Eagle Rolls are stored in closet shelves.

Basic collections in Dansco Books are on bookshelves being incognito smile.gif

More Valueable are in a Sentry Fire SAFE with an X10 security system with camera for my Den with IP capability which I can access from anywhere which is motion activated - cheap and pretty good system. Hugh Wood is a good deal as 30k is itemized and insured through them - it is about the max they will insure in the home.Home owner policies are real questionable in thier "wording" on wether any thing will be covered itemized or not ... read through them carefully.

I keep my thousands of dollars in coins in a big cardboard box on my unlocked back porch at

229-B Baker St.

London, GA 41701

Are there any nice Morgans in it? What days/hours do you work? 27_laughing.gif

Who needs the zip code?

Chris

All joking aside, I really don't think it is such a good idea to discuss this where anyone can view it. Some dealers were robbed after FUN and the Baltimore shows, and I doubt that it was just a fluke. I'm sure the thieves checked them out very carefully. They could do the same here. That is the primary reason I gave everyone the "swamp story".

Chris

All joking aside, I really don't think it is such a good idea to discuss this where anyone can view it. Some dealers were robbed after FUN and the Baltimore shows, and I doubt that it was just a fluke. I'm sure the thieves checked them out very carefully. They could do the same here. That is the primary reason I gave everyone the "swamp story".

Chris

didn't think of that 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hays

All joking aside, I really don't think it is such a good idea to discuss this where anyone can view it.

I'm not telling where I keep my coins! 893naughty-thumb.gif All I will tell you is that the ferocious guard dog in my avatar is watching over them! 27_laughing.gif

All joking aside, I really don't think it is such a good idea to discuss this where anyone can view it.

I'm not telling where I keep my coins! 893naughty-thumb.gif All I will tell you is that the ferocious guard dog in my avatar is watching over them! 27_laughing.gif

You mean you've got them buried in your backyard? That's a pretty hillside in the background. Does it have a name?

Chris

You mean you've got them buried in your backyard? That's a pretty hillside in the background. Does it have a name?

Chris

That's the neighbor's house. 27_laughing.gif

Here's the uncropped image, although it is shrunk considerably. I think Arch would skin me alive if I posted the full size image.

zoe.jpg

And yes, my coins are buried in the backyard... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

That's the neighbor's house. 27_laughing.gif

Here's the uncropped image, although it is shrunk considerably. I think Arch would skin me alive if I posted the full size image.

zoe.jpg

And yes, my coins are buried in the backyard... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You see how I have asked you seemingly trivial questions and you've have answered them without giving it a thought? If I really wanted to, I could go on like that and find out exactly where you live. Or, an easier way would be to watch the "Marketplace" or wait until you mention the possibility of selling a coin. I could contact you and offer to buy it. Once I received the package (delivered to a PO Box, of course), I'd know where you live. A few months later after you have forgotten all about this minor transaction........I think you get the picture.

Chris

Chris

This is one reason why you should never give your home address out. A Post Office box costs as little as $40 a year. All my coin stuff goes to the box. I also have credit cards that list this box address as the billing address for extra protection in case I have to give a billing address to a company I don't know well.

Chris,

I see where you were going with that. You would look up the hill to see where I live. Well, it's not a hill. Because of this thread, I removed the town name from my location.

Greg,

A post office box is a good Idea. When I'm old enough to drive, I will probably get one.

Zach

Oh, BTW there are exactly three board members with my address, maybe I need to move. 27_laughing.gif

I keep my collection in safety deposit boxes at my bank which is close enough to where I work to keep an eye on them and visit when I want or need to.

------------

etexmike

I keep mine coin at the base of a nuclear reactor cooling tower. How do think they all toned so nicely?

I have always looked at it like this.

If I can afford to loose it and go on, it's at home.

Everything else is at the bank.:)