• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this coin undergraded?

16 posts in this topic

What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8412465834&fromMakeTrack=true

I know it's hard to grade from photos and all (but these are pretty darn good photos)

It doesn't look like it has enough hits on it to be an MS64 - to me anyway. There don't seem to be any big ones at all.

What do you all think?

Hays

No, the coin is not undergraded.

The carbon spot at 1 on the obv is distracting, but the nice crescent toning makes up for it, in my opinion, and it deserves the star.

The contact marks are about right for a 64.

That's a very nice coin - also just my opinion - and I would be happy to own it at the right price.

No, the coin is not undergraded.

The carbon spot at 1 on the obv is distracting, but the nice crescent toning makes up for it, in my opinion, and it deserves the star.

The contact marks are about right for a 64.

That's a very nice coin - also just my opinion - and I would be happy to own it at the right price.

I agree with you

wow.

I've seen a whole lot of MS64s that were beaten up much worse than this one. Maybe they were over-graded? The cheek is so clean too.

I'm happy to see that I'm picking out coins that most of you all like as well. I'm not going to bid on this one so you won’t be stepping on my toes if you want to bid.

I have to take a break on bidding anyway– I blew two month’s budget on an 1893 Morgan. blush.gif

Hays

What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8412465834&fromMakeTrack=true

I know it's hard to grade from photos and all (but these are pretty darn good photos)

It doesn't look like it has enough hits on it to be an MS64 - to me anyway. There don't seem to be any big ones at all.

What do you all think?

Hays

Okay, Hays, here is your chance to tell me where the die clashes are on this one, but you have to read my other reply, first, on the thread, "An Amusing Observation".

Chris

IF--IF -IF there isn't a hidden slide mark or hairline not seen in the photo, I would feel comfortable calling this coin a solid MS65 GEM. It's way too clean to be a 64 if the photo is correct. It is in fact a die varity but I don't see a premium--either for that or the small micro-cresent of color. I see the "carbon" (copper?) spot but that is offset by the cresent eye-appeal.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yes in my opinion it's undergraded - assuming you can grade from a photo-- but the price for this VERY COMMON date is $46 bid in 64, and $130/$140 bid/ask in MS65. The carbon spot and ticks will keep it from a 66 grade IMO.

If that coin was more at an angle I think you would see that the hits on the cheek while not bad are just a little but worse than the straight on view might reveal. I think it's a PQ 64 from what I see but as others have said.....I wouldn't be outraged if I saw it in a 65 holder. thumbsup2.gif

got pics of the 93?

I'm waiting for it to arrive, but when I get it I'll post a photo.

...or my attempts to photograph it. How do you all get such great photos?

Hays

What do you think?

What do you all think?

Hays

Okay, Hays, here is your chance to tell me where the die clashes are on this one, but you have to read my other reply, first, on the thread, "An Amusing Observation".

Chris

I think others started posting about the clashes - but I didn't read'em - scout's honor!

Now that you pointed the ones out on the other coin - three of them JUMPED out at me

right away.

1) It has the same spike on the neck on the obverse

2) It has the same spike between the wing and the "IN" on the reverse

3) It also has the same curved line by the wreath

4) And I think you can see a bit of the eye by the curved line I just mentioned

I couldn't seem to locate that "vee-shape" on the other coin, so I don;t know if this one has that as well...

This is very COOL! I hope I got them right.

Thanks Chris thumbsup2.gif

Hays

P.S. It turns out noboby was was posting about die clashing on that coin, except the two of us.

got pics of the 93?

Hays

Lots of trial and error is how I learned ... just keep taking photos you will get there.. I started out with scans... and now I take decent photos

got pics of the 93?

Hays

Lots of trial and error is how I learned ... just keep taking photos you will get there.. I started out with scans... and now I take decent photos

Bruce,

When I've tried to scan a coin in a holder it isn't in focus. I guess it's because the coin is actually away from the glass inside the holder. When I take a photo all I get is shine - and forget about capturing any toning! The color washes out no matter what I do. Christo_pull_hair.gif

It drives me nuts.

Then I see all the wonderful pictures here...

I think that all professional photographers MUST be coin collectors!

Hays

Bruce,

When I've tried to scan a coin in a holder it isn't in focus. I guess it's because the coin is actually away from the glass inside the holder. When I take a photo all I get is shine - and forget about capturing any toning! The color washes out no matter what I do. Christo_pull_hair.gif

It drives me nuts.

Then I see all the wonderful pictures here...

I think that all professional photographers MUST be coin collectors!

Hays

So many of us have been where you are... for coins its all about the lighting and positioning of it... Raw coins are easier than slabbed ones... I use 2 OTT lights and a tripod along with my camera... but I started out scanning coins....

IF--IF -IF there isn't a hidden slide mark or hairline not seen in the photo, I would feel comfortable calling this coin a solid MS65 GEM. It's way too clean to be a 64 if the photo is correct. It is in fact a die varity but I don't see a premium--either for that or the small micro-cresent of color. I see the "carbon" (copper?) spot but that is offset by the cresent eye-appeal.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yes in my opinion it's undergraded - assuming you can grade from a photo-- but the price for this VERY COMMON date is $46 bid in 64, and $130/$140 bid/ask in MS65. The carbon spot and ticks will keep it from a 66 grade IMO.

I agree. I've seen 65's that look worse.