• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yay! I Found a Local Coin Store

12 posts in this topic

I just moved to my new location, 1200 miles from my former home, last July and I'd yet to search for a coin store. After reading a recent thread here where people were all abou, "support your local dealer unless you find a really irresistable deal elsewhere," I went searching, and I found a place 3 miles from my apartment. I was mainly going just to check it out today, but I ended up buying a Morgan dollar and mentioning that I'd be back soon with a list of stuff I was looking for 'cause it's my birthday in two weeks. He ended up giving me an AirTite container for the coin for free when I mentioned that. laugh.gif

It's important that we help keep local dealers in business. With Internet sales, nationwide auctions and other venues for purchasing coins, its easy to overlook local shops. They may not carry everything that one collects but I try to give them as much business as their inventory and my interests allow.

Sorry, Brotherman, that you have no dealers close to your area. I know there are some good ones in Louisville and one in Paducah that I have not visited. What section of KY are you in?

Okay, sorry frown.gif that there is nothing local for you. Maybe you'll have to become a part-time dealer as well as collector. thumbsup2.gif My daughter attends Murray in the western part of your lovely cloud9.gif state.

It's important that we help keep local dealers in business. With Internet sales, nationwide auctions and other venues for purchasing coins, its easy to overlook local shops. They may not carry everything that one collects but I try to give them as much business as their inventory and my interests allow.

Yeah, well I was just thinking that I bought about $60 in supplies from an online wholesaler, but I paid $10 in shipping. I went to the shop today and though stuff is marked up (like AirTites are maybe 20 cents more expensive ... too bad we don' thave 20-cent pieces anymore), I think the markup would still be cheaper for smaller purchases than shipping.

And I don't know if it's just that I've gotten lucky with coin stores (the two I've been to in my life) or if this is how people at coin stores normally are, but the people who work the coin counter are always really really nice. Like when I was 14 or so and I wanted to buy a coin but it was $5 more than I had on me (like $25 and I had $20), he said that $20 would be fine. flowerred.gif And then the free container today. takeit.gif

Perhaps it's because they realize that being nice makes us want to come back and that's good for business with such a small market?

I grew up in western KY just south of Paducah and graduated from Murray State myself. I think the same dealer who was in Paducah back in the 70's is still in business. I don't know much about the hillbilly end of the state though. insane.gif

I grew up in western KY just south of Paducah and graduated from Murray State myself. I think the same dealer who was in Paducah back in the 70's is still in business. I don't know much about the hillbilly end of the state though. insane.gif

I am from Lexington, graduated from Transylvania myself. Then, I moved here…

there is NOTHING in this little town – not even a movie theater!

If it weren’t for cable TV and the internet I think I’d go nuts! insane.gif

My coin collecting is online or in pawn shops. Around here even common dates of almost anything are hard to find.

Hays

According to the 2006 Numismatic Dealer Directory, there are 4 dealers in Lexington:

Ancient Coin Wholesale

441 S. Ashland Ave.

859-269-1614

Bluegrass Coins & Jewelry

4001 Nicholasville Rd.

859-272-7641

Cartwheels & Keys

PO Box 4177

859-255-8353

Estate Buyers

441 S. Ashland Ave.

859-269-1614

(This is the same as Ancient Coin Wholesale)

Jonathan K. Kern Co.

441 S. Ashland Ave.

859-269-1614

Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries

1707 Nicholasville Rd.

859-276-1551

Of course, it doesn't mean the directory is accurate. I recall telling NGC that their Dealer Directory (online) listed a Maryland business in Florida.

Chris

Dunno why you guys don't have coin shops anywhere... There's at least 5 within 15 miles of me! North Carolina is by no means a rich or populous state, so why here? Why now?

According to the 2006 Numismatic Dealer Directory, there are 4 dealers in Lexington:

Ancient Coin Wholesale

441 S. Ashland Ave.

859-269-1614

Bluegrass Coins & Jewelry

4001 Nicholasville Rd.

859-272-7641

Cartwheels & Keys

PO Box 4177

859-255-8353

Estate Buyers

441 S. Ashland Ave.

859-269-1614

Jonathan K. Kern Co.

441 S. Ashland Ave.

859-269-1614

Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries

1707 Nicholasville Rd.

859-276-1551

Of course, it doesn't mean the directory is accurate. I recall telling NGC that their Dealer Directory (online) listed a Maryland business in Florida.

Chris

The last time I was in Lexington I looked in the phonebook and only saw two listings. One has never answered their phone, the other was by appointment only - and they were only interested in buying entire collections.

I hope one of these places is still around - I will check them out! Thanks for the leads Chris!

Hays