• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Trade: New copy of Handbook of 20th Century US Gold 1907-1933 (Akers)

6 posts in this topic

Up for trade is a brand new, shrinkwrapped copy of A Handbook of 20th Century United States Gold Coins: 1907-1933 by David W. Akers, © 1988. This is the hardback edition, ISBN: 0-943161-19-3. I can post a photo if anyone requests one.

This book is apparently getting hard to find. In a search on the major online book sellers:

Half.com (2 copies) ($60.00 - $70.00)

Amazon (2 copies) ($102.85 - $149.99)

Barnes&Noble (1 copy) ($52.50)

Alibris Used Books (1 copy) ($222.81)

AbeBooks (1 copy) ($150.00)

eBay (no copies) (---)

I've got two copies, so I'm keeping one and trading the second (my personal copy was opened and in almost new condition).

I will ship the book to the winning trader by media mail with the USPS, the standard means of shipping books and other media.

IN TRADE FOR:

I'm interested in getting a (US) coin or coins in exchange for the gold book. If you've got some coins you're not attached to, PM me with some options of what you'd be willing to trade for the book. I'm pretty flexible. As you can see from the above, prices for the book are quite high, but I'd be willing to accept something in the neighborhood of $30 to $60 value for the book. $30 range would be for a single, nicer coin, whereas if the offer were several coins that weren't as great, it might raise my asking price, if that makes sense. Like I said, I'm flexible.

Hope someone wants to make a deal!

Unfortunately for pendragon1998, I already have a copy of this book otherwise I'd do this trade in a heartbeat! For anyone interested in collecting any of the 20th century gold series (Saints, Indian eagles, half eagles and quarter eagles), this book is simply indispensible. Akers goes into great detail for each individual date and mintmark, with great information on strike characteristics, color and luster characteristics, polulations and rarity and a listing of the finest coins he personally had seen. I have the new Bowers Redbook on Double eagles and the Saint section of his newer book (2005 I think) pales in comparison to Akers' detail. So if you are interested in any of these series, I cannot recommend this book enough! It's been out of print for a while, and it took me several months to locate my copy when I bought it several years ago, so you'd be smart to take advantage of this one!

Sure, here's a photo of the 'obverse' and 'reverse' :-) The sparkly stuff in the photo is the plastic shrink wrap, which has two < 1 inch holes on the front cover (no damage to book).

Jazzy has contacted me and is getting ready to make an offer for a potential trade, but until I've made the deal, I'll consider counter offers. I think that's only fair since the book is so difficult to locate.

akers_book.jpg

If the demand exists, I may consider putting my second copy up for trade. It is out of the shrinkwrap, but is like new inside and out, except for some almost invisible age spotting on the cover and an almost totally erased pencil entry on the inside cover. I'm currently planning on keeping if for myself, but as I'm not going to be getting any gold at any point in the near future, someone may be able to be convince me to part with it. Anyone who loses this trade and is interested in the second book, which is practically as nice, please PM me.

Update:

In Jazzy's (quite tempting!) offer email, he suggested I wait a week to see if I get any alternative offers - thus far I have not gotten any. The week will be up on Thursday, so if anyone else is interested in the book, I'll need to have your offers in by Thursday, May 4, at 10:00 EST. I'll announce the winner here at some point shortly after that.

Thanks to all who have expressed interest!