• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Amusing Observation

37 posts in this topic

Some of you know that I have been buying medals from European sources since last year. I have to chuckle at many of these sellers for the way they conduct business. It seems they are a frugal bunch.

I've received medals stapled or taped between cut-up pieces of cereal or other food boxes. Sometimes they will use the foam sheets that are typically used for shipping computer hardware and software; this becomes a problem because they wrap the medal tightly in it and then use packing tape to seal it. Then they tape it to a piece of a cereal box. You have to be very careful when extracting the medal from this coffin. I figure they must get 2-4 shipments from each box.

This isn't the only thing I've found to be funny about some European sellers. Recently, I spotted a nice 1894 copper medal and I decided to bid on it. The opening bid was 5 euros. I quickly checked the sellers feedback and noted that he accepted Pay Pal before I placed my snipe, 35 euros. I didn't bother following the auction, but when I checked Bidnapper I discovered that my bid had been blocked and the auction ended with only one bidder for 5 euros.

Well, I decided to send the seller an e-mail asking why I had been blocked from the bidding. He replied promptly and informed me that the auction was for France only. I hadn't noticed that on the listing..........my mistake. Anyway, I sent him a reply telling him the amount I had been prepared to bid, and that the French people must be a bunch of cheapskates (exact words) to let such a nice medal go for just 5 euros. I told him that a medal like this would typically sell for 5-10 times more in the U.S.

Then, I received another reply from him offering to sell me the medal that his grandfather had won. He was using his GRANDFATHER as a shill! In most cases, I might have been irritated but I just had to laugh. Anyway, I offered him $35 US which included shipping and he happily accepted. I check his site from time to time, and it appears that he is no longer blocking bids from the U.S.

Does anyone here have an amusing anecdote to tell us about another seller/buyer? It doesn't have to be about a Frenchman or a European.

Chris

PS. I'm not going to post a picture of the medal or mention any seller's name because I still do business with them from time to time.

I once bought a counterfeit 1904 double eagle from Europe (I think it was Germany) and it was an extremely good fake. I returned it to the seller for a refund after informing her it was counterfeit. She seemed surprised, but then I looked at her other auctions and she was selling a number of Saints, one of which was the exceedingly rare 1919 Saint. I informed her politely that the US Mint didn't produce any double eagle dated between 1916 and 1920, and she pulled the auction.

I do.

It's about ME, as a buyer on eBay.

The other day I was looking at several toned Morgans and instead of looking at them one at a time, I thought it would be better to open each one up in a new window. I could easily click back and forth between the Morgans to compare them. I decided to place a bid on my choice. The problem was I was on the wrong page at the time! I placed my bid on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...I%3AIT&rd=1

when I wanted to bid on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

So far I am winning the Morgan I didn't want...no one to blame but myself.

What a bonehead. foreheadslap.gif

Hays

Wow, that 1885 MS65* is a beauty and it has four nice die clashes on it! I'd like to bid on that one myself, but I just spent a ton on another group of Morgans. C'est la vie!

Chris

Wow, that 1885 MS65* is a beauty and it has four nice die clashes on it! I'd like to bid on that one myself, but I just spent a ton on another group of Morgans. C'est la vie!

Chris

If you decide you want to bid on it go ahead. I can't because there's a chance I might win the one I did bid on. I couldn't afford winning them both. And wouldn't you know it, the 1885 MS65 ends BEFORE the 1886 one!

Where's the little smiley face that has him kicking his own butt?

Christo_pull_hair.gif - this one will have to do

Hays

My Mom (ahem) is French mad.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif.

I guess that makes me a half-cheapskate! blush.gif

27_laughing.gif

James

No offense, James! If that makes you half French, then we'll drop the cheap "charge" and let you skate. laugh.gif

Chris

I do.

It's about ME, as a buyer on eBay.

The other day I was looking at several toned Morgans and instead of looking at them one at a time, I thought it would be better to open each one up in a new window. I could easily click back and forth between the Morgans to compare them. I decided to place a bid on my choice. The problem was I was on the wrong page at the time! I placed my bid on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...I%3AIT&rd=1

when I wanted to bid on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

So far I am winning the Morgan I didn't want...no one to blame but myself.

What a bonehead. foreheadslap.gif

Hays

This is not an ebay or foreign bidding story, but similar to this in a sense. I was bidding on an 1847 stamp through an email bid with a major stamp auction firm. When the auction was finished, I figured I won the lot because it sold for less than my maximum bid which was a couple of thousand dollars. When I recieved the bill, it was for $35.00! I examined the bill and it was for a 1920's stamp that I had no interest in . I contacted the company and they assured me I bid on THAT stamp. I couldn't figure out what happened, but then I noticed that the LOT # for the $35.00 stamp was ... would you believe it ... 1847. I was so into the year that I put it on the bid sheet as LOT 1847. When I finally explained this to the auction company they kind of snorted and practically hung up the phone in my face. Oh well... I now have this collection of 1847 stamps and in the back of the album is this 1920 whatever that I put a bid in for $2,000.00 and won at $35.00. Thank G-d they didn't shill my bid up!

Thanks Jazzy, but...

I'VE BEEN OUTBID!!

WOO-HOO! yay.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

sumo.gif Now I can set my sights on the MS65! sumo.gif

Hays

It's a good thing you said something because I was about to bid on the '85. Good luck!

Chris

Thanks Jazzy, but...

I'VE BEEN OUTBID!!

WOO-HOO! yay.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

sumo.gif Now I can set my sights on the MS65! sumo.gif

Hays

It's a good thing you said something because I was about to bid on the '85. Good luck!

Chris

Chris - by all means bid on it buddy! I really can't go much higher than it already is. I'm sure it will be out of my range and I would much rather see that beauty go to someone HERE! I'll at least get to see some nice photos of it. REALLY, please do bid on her!

Hays

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Believe it or not, I like it more for the die clashes than the toning.

Chris

Cool. I hope you win it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It should go to someone that appreciates it.

Good luck! Let me know if you do win.

Hays

Who would want a crummy BC reverse toned crescent anyway????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

MORGANblack_85pmgcms64_1864722-088_bc.jpg

If it's that repulsive to you, why don't you give it to Hays as a gift?

Chris

You leave my Mom out of it mad.gif.

Besides, she doesn't even like coin colleting tonofbricks.gif.

smile.gif

James

I got the point, James! Boy, aren't we testy today!

confused-smiley-013.gifC confused-smiley-013.gifH confused-smiley-013.gifR confused-smiley-013.gifI confused-smiley-013.gifS confused-smiley-013.gif

Who would want a crummy BC reverse toned crescent anyway????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

MORGANblack_85pmgcms64_1864722-088_bc.jpg

If it's that repulsive to you, why don't you give it to Hays as a gift?

Chris

hi.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hays

Hays who??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't know any hay's around here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anybody seen a Hays around here looking for a BC toner gossip.gif

Well I sure tried....I'll have to stick it back in the keeper box now with all the rest sorry.gif

Hays who??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't know any hay's around here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anybody seen a Hays around here looking for a BC toner gossip.gif

Well I sure tried....I'll have to stick it back in the keeper box now with all the rest sorry.gif

Hey, Brotherman, send Shane a PM!

Chris

Dang Chris...you coin pimp.....I just got the coin less than a month ago 893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I can direct him to the right person though......could hook him up with a descent BC toner depending on his budget thumbsup2.gif

Dang Chris...you coin pimp.....I just got the coin less than a month ago 893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I can direct him to the right person though......could hook him up with a descent BC toner depending on his budget thumbsup2.gif

Geez, you've only had it a month and you already hate it and want to get rid of it? I'd say that was poor judgement on your part to buy it in the first place. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Chris

PS. I'm sending you a PM.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Believe it or not, I like it more for the die clashes than the toning.

Chris

Help me out here Chris.

I thought I knew what a die clash was. It's when the dies strike without a planchet between them, right? And this "clash" will transfer some of the image to the opposite die. If a coin is stuck before the die is cleaned (polished) then the coin will show the extra imprint...Is that right?

I have stared at the ebay coin for an hour. I can't find the die clashes you are talking about. I'm sure they are there, but I just don't see them. Could you please point them out? Thanks.

Hays

Chris

Help me out here Chris.

I thought I knew what a die clash was. It's when the dies strike without a planchet between them, right? And this "clash" will transfer some of the image to the opposite die. If a coin is stuck before the die is cleaned (polished) then the coin will show the extra imprint...Is that right?

I have stared at the ebay coin for an hour. I can't find the die clashes you are talking about. I'm sure they are there, but I just don't see them. Could you please point them out? Thanks.

Hays

On the obverse, do you see the "spike" extending to the southwest from Liberty's neck? That is the result of the die clash with the upper edge of the eagle's wing. This is the easiest one to spot and, as a rule, if you see this there may be others.

On the reverse, you will see a "vee-shape" laying on its side between the eagle's wing and the upper part of the wreath on the right. This was formed by the area where Liberty's cap is drawn in by the cord. This is also an easy one to spot and may prompt you to find other clashes.

The third clash is a vertical line from the "n" in the motto, "In God We Trust" and the eagle's wing. This is Liberty's neckline.

If you look near the top of the wreath on the left on the inner side, you will see a curved mark. This is the line of Liberty's face just below the lower lip. Sometimes this clash can be very dramatic and you will be able to see the entire silhouette of Liberty from the top of her nose to the bottom of her chin.

There could possibly be others on this Morgan, but it would require much closer examination with a loupe. Sometimes you can get lucky and find the imprint of some of the lettering. Sometimes the clashes begin to fade as part of normal die wear, but the giveaway that prompts one to look for them is the "spike" on the obverse.

Chris

sign-funnypost.gif

You all are nuts! insane.gif

Shane - I can't believe you could forget the author of the soon-to-be-famous poem

"Ode to Toners" acclaim.gif

Hays

Yes that will most certainly be a classic..... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You should post that over on the TCCS......I think they'd get a kick out of it thumbsup2.gif

Chris

Cool. I hope you win it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It should go to someone that appreciates it.

Good luck! Let me know if you do win.

Hays

Well, the auction ended and I lost..... DARNIT! Can someone explain to me why I lost? My bid of $245.80 posted with 4 seconds left in the auction and the (supposed) winning bid posted 1 second later at $246.88. The winner had not entered any other bids and it is my understanding that from $100.00 - $249.99 bids must be placed in increments of $2.50. The winning bid was only $1.08 more than mine. Should I complain to eBay? It's not fair when you try to play by the rules and get cheated by them at the same time.

Chris