• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battle Creek Morgans

10 posts in this topic

I think I put my cracking open a slabbed coin in the wrong place – oops

BUT this question belongs here because I’ve only seen this on Battle Creek Morgans

Check this coin out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1887-Morgan-NGC-Batt...1QQcmdZViewItem

The grade from NGC is “Uncirculated”. Isn’t that term used on MS60, 61, or 62? And if that is right, then why didn’t NGC put MS61 on the holder? AND what’s so special about the Battle Creek Collection anyway?

Hays

The person who submitted the Battle Creeks probably got a cheaper rate on the lower quality pieces by simply having them designated with Uncirculated.

What's so special about the Battle Creeks you ask well.....

Here is an article on the NGC website that tells most of the story..

NGC Certifies the Battle Creek Collection

In a nutshell the Battle Creek Hoard consisted of 9 original sealed mint bags full of uncirculated Morgan Silver dollars. Once these bags were opened some of the most amazing toned coins to ever hit the market emerged. In all I believe there were 1400 toned coins that were certified and awared the star designation for superior eye appeal but in actuality quite a few of these did not deserve the star. The ones that did are simply amazing coins hail.gif

Here is a link to the TCCS website which has auction Gallerys for all of the Battle Creek sales thumbsup2.gif

Gallery Page

I personally own about 6 nice toners from the hoard....but they aren't even close to the top tear coins since they all cost me $1000 or less and the really spectacular pieces went in the $5,000 to $12,000 range for the most part. There are coins to fit just about everyones budget and there are some solid coins at most price levels so everyone can potentially get in on the action 893applaud-thumb.gif

Personally, I love the idea of just stating that a coin's "uncirculated", versus arguing whether it's MS-60, MS-61, MS-62, MS-63 or MS-64, when there's not much different in basal value for such a common date. It's the exquisite color that determines the value of this coin, not it's "grade".

James

Personally, I love the idea of just stating that a coin's "uncirculated", versus arguing whether it's MS-60, MS-61, MS-62, MS-63 or MS-64, when there's not much different in basal value for such a common date. It's the exquisite color that determines the value of this coin, not it's "grade".

James

Good Point James....agree completely.

I don't want anyone getting me drunk and having there way with my coins....I think there are laws against that.....aren't there??? confused.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

James

Good Point James....agree completely.

I don't want anyone getting me drunk and having there way with my coins....

The way you put it, Shane, it does sound a little perverted.

Chris