• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Europe Part III-and lots of questions for you

2 posts in this topic

Hi y'all,

Well, other than waiting to see how the Goldberg auction goes on my little cache of US coins for which I probably paid way too much, I'm getting ready for another European experience. The choir with which I was to sing in Italy "chickened out" because of the war and terrorism threats, but I'm going anyway to "find myself." I'm a free 42-yr old guy with no attachments, so what the hey. I have the money and the time, so let's rock.

Now, as far as coins/numismatics are concerned, here are my queries:

1) I'm interested in inexpensive (less $100 or so) historical coins from several countries. I visited shops in Budapest and Munich last year and picked up a few trinkets. I know I spent too much on a 1764 Fine+ (with adjustment marks and purple toning in spots) Patrona Bavariae Thaler and a few Nazi coins (illegal in Germany, purchased in Budapest). I'll be visiting who knows what countries this time and wonder what would be "cool" items to look for. I have no real world coin experience. Should I buy a Krause? Is there an on-line price/information guide?

2) The euro. Well, while everyone is watching the dollar sink and gold soar, I wonder if I should buy a large (say US $5000) amount of euros when I get to Germany. I plan to be in Europe for at least 2 months. Is this a good idea? Is it speculative? Is it GAMBLING? That's a big no-no, but if the dollar continues to slide like it is I think we may all be in trouble. No one is visiting Europe these days but they are coming here, apparently. I will be "living" in Hungary, where their currency, the forint, is very strong and tied to the euro.

Thanks,

enriched

Yes, by all means, bring a Krause. However, they come in three books covering 3 centuries, so bring the book that will be covering your era of collecting. Note that most european coins can be purchased here for 75-80% of Krause, so figure that in your negotiations. Also realize that European grading standards are much tighter than US standards. A choice AU coin here is an XF coin there, a solid VF+ might be a Fine. So you'll have to do some figuring at a price and grade. Cash is king there so pack a few Euros, however $5000 in cash is a bit much. Good Luck.

TRUTH