• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the last year for the Sacagawea?

15 posts in this topic

Hi

Just trying to get a little information about an auction on Ebay where the sellers is posting that this is the last year for the Sacagawea Dollar Proof (2006). Has anybody heard anything about this or is this just an Ebay Sellers Hype to get his coins sold? Thanks for listening.

By the way this is the auction number. 8410581266. There are a couple up that this seller has.

PapaG

Hi Greg and Thanks for the conformation that I thought I had read on the US mint site that they are coming out with Presidential coins series Dollars next year but that they were going to keep the Sacagawea as well. Goes to show what some guys will say to get your attention. Thanks again.

Papag

Ken

The legislation for the presidential dollars requires that 1/3 of the mintage of dollars for the year must be Sacagaweas for the duration of the presidential dollar program.

Hoot

That is perhaps the stupidest thing they have done since they started making the Sacagawea dollar. Let the poor old thing die the ignominous death it deserves, with no offense to Sacagawea herself (although I don't see why she got a coin and Lady Liberty can't have a few).

That is perhaps the stupidest thing they have done since they started making the Sacagawea dollar. Let the poor old thing die the ignominous death it deserves, with no offense to Sacagawea herself (although I don't see why she got a coin and Lady Liberty can't have a few).

It just goes to show how politics is played these days. According to an article on USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/2005-04-26-dollar-usat_x.htm):

But To get to the dollar coin legislation to the floor, Castle had to persuade North Dakota, which did not want to have one of its most famous residents, Sacagawea, booted off the dollar coin. The compromise calls for Sacagawea dollars to be minted with the presidential coins — and for the presidential coin rollout to wait until after the Lewis and Clark anniversary celebration ends in 2008.

Chad, I am not talking about previous coins. I want all the dead people off the current circulating coins, and I want Lady Liberty to resume her rightful place on American Coinage. And I mean no disrespect to the dead people (in fact I have great respect for most of them), but even Washington himself (one of the dead people on our coins) said that we should not put presidents (or other people) on our coins, because that was too monarchist. We also don't want places like North Dakota, or Virginia, highjacking our coins just because they have a famous person. Sacagawea had her chance on the coin, and it failed. Give it up. Lady Liberty is universal, she belongs to no particular state. Thus no one special interest group can have the chance to hijack my money. Put all the presidents you want on commemorative coinage or medals, that is what they are there for.

2006 SAE's aren't previous, but I agree with you. I think that Lady Liberty should resume her rightful position atop the throne of our nation's coinage. Whatever the mint decides to do, just don't change the nickel again! It's hard enough to keep up with as it!

It just goes to show how politics is played these days. According to an article on USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/2005-04-26-dollar-usat_x.htm):

But To get to the dollar coin legislation to the floor, Castle had to persuade North Dakota, which did not want to have one of its most famous residents, Sacagawea, booted off the dollar coin. The compromise calls for Sacagawea dollars to be minted with the presidential coins — and for the presidential coin rollout to wait until after the Lewis and Clark anniversary celebration ends in 2008.

How many people know that Sacagawea was a resident of North Dakota?

Better yet, how many people know who Sacagawea was?

Oh hell, how many people know who Lewis & Clark are.

It's a failed coin. We need to move on. Sacagawea is a meaningless footnote in history.

To me, "Lady Liberty" and "Marianne" (the symbol of France) are synonymous. Their spirit will never die and it is for this very reason that she should be returned to that (former) place of honor on our coinage. Let's leave it to the artists and engravers to interpret how she must appear, but let's keep dead men and women away from our coinage.

This is my favorite interpretation of Marianne,

1203890-IMG_0414.JPG

and this is my favorite interpretation of Miss Liberty.

1203890-IMG_0410.JPG

Chris

1203890-IMG_0410.JPG.6dce8f73228c5e194d31387ec96694cf.JPG

It's a failed coin. We need to move on. Sacagawea is a meaningless footnote in history.

How very not true you diabolical man, you. crazy.gif

Three Forks, Montana is where the Madison and Jefferson rivers merge to form the headwaters for the mighty Missouri River. It's the exact spot where Sacagawea was kidnapped as a young teenager by a rival Indian tribe. Later, she salvaged the Lewis and Clark expedition because of her knowledge of the land. She knew that by following the Jefferson River, one would head due west.

How many people know that Sacagawea was a resident of North Dakota?

Better yet, how many people know who Sacagawea was?

Oh hell, how many people know who Lewis & Clark are.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, in fact, I consider myself a history buff in my "free time," and I had no clue that she was from North Dakota. I'm just giving you the "official" reason why. It sucks, though. And I agree with the other folks here in that some redition of Liberty should again grace the coinage instead of old dead guys ... who were very important, but again even Washington didn't like the idea of presidents on the coins. Sigh.