• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you pay a $7650 premium for toning?

40 posts in this topic

Having looked at the item description a little more closely, I've discovered that the coin was graded MS-67, which I didn't realize at the time of my previous comments. Since I really don't know what an MS-67 is worth, I really don't know how many multiples the price represents.

It is worth between $270 and $300 and often come nicely toned but not as vibrant as this one does, of course.

To answer the question--would I pay $7680 for toning? The answer is yes I would and I have. However I don't recommend others do so unless they really know what they're looking at, and are secure in that knowledge.

The most recent toner I bought was a ($200 sheet) 1948 Franklin in MS65FL. Because of the original Mint Set color, I paid over $1,300 for one as lot 601 in ANR's FUN Auction-- which is what?-- 6.5 times too much? I'm happy with it-- and I think that's all that should matter for collectors. smile.gif

Since you asked the question. No. I would not pay a preimum...any premium for a toned coin. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those who do or would. You say tomAto, I say tomato. You call it enhancing the coin. I call it tarnish or damage. Beauty and value are in the eyes of the beholder. I can and do admire attractive toning. I just would not pay for one. Again, not knocking anyone. Just answering the question.

Yep, I know just what you mean. I think the problem is when someone tries to disparage, or cut down what someone else enjoys collecting, as if other collectors are "stupid" or "dishonest" just because they don't think like you do.

That was why I was trying to state carefully that i wouldn't pay much of a premium for it, which is true, but I also fully respect that someone else might well want to pay a huge premium - because they DID like the coin, and thought it worth the premium.

When I was posting across the street, and reading others' threads, it did become tiresome to see the constant ridiculous infighting and name-calling. From what I can see, it still happens a lot over there.

I truly do appreciate and enjoy the much more user-friendly atmosphere of the NGC coin boards.

James

James, since we're on the subject of toning, can you tell me which thread you posted the Morgans and (one) Peace that had toned in the Kraft envelopes. I want to take a look at those beauties again, but I can't remember where it was.

Chris

I think the coin has awesome color and is one of the most stunning toned coins that I have seen. I always wonder how a coin acquired the coloring that it did. If a person can afford it and wants to add it to their collection, more power to them. For the price, I have other priorities but begrudge no one who would want to own it.

To answer the question--would I pay $7680 for toning? The answer is yes I would and I have. However I don't recommend others do so unless they really know what they're looking at, and are secure in that knowledge.

The most recent toner I bought was a ($200 sheet) 1948 Franklin in MS65FL. Because of the original Mint Set color, I paid over $1,300 for one as lot 601 in ANR's FUN Auction-- which is what?-- 6.5 times too much? I'm happy with it-- and I think that's all that should matter for collectors. smile.gif

I have not problem paying 5-10x sheet for a gorgeous toner. These coins are unique and well worth it. Paying 200-300x??, well that is something quite different.

There are a good number of people who collect toned coins. There is even a club. As fellow collectors, I do respect the amount of work, thought, and their money that goes into their collections. I even enjoy looking at them. I even visit the web site of one of our memebers to read up on it. It was sincerely not my intent to put down anyone, and I hope I came across correctly.