• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's a coin I AM bidding on

21 posts in this topic

No question for me on this one...

1723 Hibernia Farthing, Breen 170

NGC MS 64, looks like a bit of conservation, but after all, what do you expect?

hibernia.jpg

hibernia2.jpg

The dark spots at 10 obv and 8 rev are typical of conservation which removes verdigris.

And you're right Bruce, the image is considerably lightened. The coin is actually quite dark - almost sepia. But this is also typical of pure copper colonials.

Those dark spots barely show on the coin.

Yes and no - it depends on a lot of things.

Conservation isn't a bad thing by any means. It's saved many a valuable piece of history from ruin - usually PVC damage. The older the coin, the more likely it's been cleaned or conserved in some manner.

Brotherman, what are you interested in collecting?

Maybe I could point you in the right direction.

I've been a collector for 30 years.

Brotherman, what are you interested in collecting?

Maybe I could point you in the right direction.

I've been a collector for 30 years.

30 years of collecting is great. I can tell you have some great taste in coins... only 16 years for me smile.gif.. oh but I am only 23.. so

I’m at a crossroads. I have finished a couple of circulated sets – Washington quarters and Franklin halves – and I did a BU Ike set. Now, I want to do something that is a little more challenging. I don’t have a lot of cash, but I set aside $2000 for key dates and I need the rest to be $100 or less. I also want to do something a little older. I like Morgans and I keep thinking of doing a date set. I also LOVE the toned beauties – I will collect those no matter what series I get into. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I keep hearing about the Dansco 7070 – not that sure what it is. Maybe one of every US coin minted? Would this be reasonable in my price range?

Hays

Here's an example of the bottom half of the first page of the 7070.

This is an old scan. I now have every coin in that subset in a grade of 63 and up, except for the Flying Eagle - I've resigned myself to having to spend at least 2K on one that matches the quality of the rest.

Can you do it on a small budget? Absolutely. The world is full of lovely circulated coins.

smallcents1.jpg

Hey Jazzy,

does that album have any protection over the obverse of the coin? I think I would prefer one of those albums that has the thin piece of mylar over the oberse and reverse so that you can see both sides of the coin. It appears that you are puting together a unc. type set, I would be woried that after years in an album like that, the coins would develop a slight rub and turn into AU coins.

JJ

Hey Jazzy,

does that album have any protection over the obverse of the coin? I think I would prefer one of those albums that has the thin piece of mylar over the oberse and reverse so that you can see both sides of the coin. It appears that you are puting together a unc. type set, I would be woried that after years in an album like that, the coins would develop a slight rub and turn into AU coins.

JJ

I took the mylar sleeve out to get the pic.

There's always the danger of rubbing the sleeve against the coins, but the Dansco albums have deep insets, and the sleeves pass over the coins by a few millimeters. Still, you do have to be careful.

I’m at a crossroads. I have finished a couple of circulated sets – Washington quarters and Franklin halves – and I did a BU Ike set. Now, I want to do something that is a little more challenging. I don’t have a lot of cash, but I set aside $2000 for key dates and I need the rest to be $100 or less. I also want to do something a little older. I like Morgans and I keep thinking of doing a date set. I also LOVE the toned beauties – I will collect those no matter what series I get into. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I keep hearing about the Dansco 7070 – not that sure what it is. Maybe one of every US coin minted? Would this be reasonable in my price range?

Hays

Dansco 7070 is a great album... you can go for high end coins, low circs, mid range coins, key dates, varities, etc... Since you liked toned coins... Do a Dansco 7070 album with toned coins for each slot. That will be fun, if you ask me

This looks like a classic case of a coin needing a good old fashioned looooong soak in olive oil, a few months or so. The spots just might come off, and the color might even out.

James

You've really accomplished something by reaching MS63 in type set. I'm just pluggin' holes in it for now.

There should be a Pittsburgh Steeler shirt on the cat with the football 893applaud-thumb.gif Just great

Jazzy, that's one wild looking type set you have going! As an example of how a type set can be fun no matter what the grade, you can contrast the quality of your set with the much lower grade range of mine. I like to put coins of the VF/EF range in my type set album and the overall eye appeal pleases me quite a bit. If I can get images of it later I will post some.

I like the 1859 IHC! I tend to notice the coins that I need more than those I don't. crazy.gif

Remember awhile back I asked if you were Errorist? Well, obviously you're not. Your collecting tastes are much closer to my own. thumbsup2.gif