• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOREIGN COINS STRUCK AT US MINTS???

9 posts in this topic

The only foreign coins I think we struck are some Phillipines coins and the Leif Ericson Commemoratives. Not sure, though, there could be other countries' coins that we've struck.

Many nations had their coinage struck, from time to time, by the US Mint. Here is one site where you can get information on the countries in question, one from Coin World and here is something from PCGS.

There weren't any foreign coins struck in Denver between 1945 and 1967, so it's not likely to be overstruck on a foreign coin.

I'm not too up on errors, but it looks like the struck portion is raised. I would suspect that the outer edge was pressed flat in a post mint operation.

'Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States' is a good little book that lists coins by country struck at each US mint. Mine is packed away for a move but maybe I can dig it up.

Spiny,

I thought the same thing, but how do you explain the raised lettering on the reverse of the coin near the top?

Dave,

Thanks for the information on the book. I will try to locate one as well.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

makepoint.gifinsane.gif893frustrated.gif

No guesses on that, conservative. I'd have to see it up close. Good luck with it.

The book mentioned above has good info in it. The only problem it has is that it only gives the dates that the coins were reported on the Mint Report. That isn't always the date that is on the coin. You have to use the Krause catalog also and match mintage numbers to figure out what the actual coins are. And, of course, there are a few that don't match up...

There was also the book by Altz and Barton, Foreign Coin Struck at the United States Mints, but it only goes up to 1963.