• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about appearance of an 04-P Morgan

6 posts in this topic

Whizzing would create a false luster. In fact, most whizzing is done with a metal circular microbrush. Upon close inspection, the flow of the metal would look much different than on a struck Unc dollar. If you notice an abrupt change in the flow of the metal from the field to the devices, it is probably altered surfaces. Check for bagmarks and imperfections. The whizzing will be WITHIN the marks. If the bagmarks or contact marks are empty, then the luster should be gone from within the marks. A chisled look, orangepeel, will be from rusted, corroded, or unclean dies. But this should be unifrom throughout the surface of the coin

TRUTH

Thanks truth....the porous "orange peel" appearance is throughout the surface fields of the coin. If it is a whizzer, then the guy did a fantastic job because I don't see telltale hairlines...and the texture goes right up to the edge of the devices without overlap. And the cartwheel is good

My 89-CC was struck with a corroded die...you can see clear pockmarks on the Eagle's breast and legs...this isn't as easily defined.

sumo.gif

I have read all my reference books concerning the 1904 dollar. All the books coment on the poor strike and dullish finish. There is no mention of an orange peel strike due to rusted dies. I have several books that I looked thru. I do own a 1904 Morgan that is graded ms65, and it has nice toning on it but the surfaces are smooth. Actually this coin is well struck and somewhat lusterous. I hope this helps in some small way.

589a8ae8ba72b_174869-1904obv.jpg.d606a659417d1125fefebbfad9e400a5.jpg

All Morgans after 1900-P have a subdued almost matte luster. I have attached a 1900-P Morgan for your perusal. They do not look anything like early series coins. This coin is a 1900-P, PCGS MS65, for your information.

175095-1900PMorg.jpg.7cb4becce4259ac21e8754117143827e.jpg