• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I stroll into the bank today Part 2 ($250 more in Halves)

42 posts in this topic

Kennedys from 1970 came only from special mint sets also. I've found none from that year but a few from 1987. I've also gotten a few Franklins and an entire roll of '64 Kennedys once. Someone actually rounded up 20 90% silver halves and cashed them in at a bank.

Half rolls are great to cherrypick as they don't circulate and the generic ones are fun to use for tips.

My wife, who is a teller at "Walk-all-ovah-yah" came back and said her branch didn't have anything on the 'shopping list' I sent her to work with (HDs and small $s). Needless to say, I was asking what exactly the point was, being a coin collector married to a bank teller. :-)

Okay, my turn. I went to the bank and got $200 in halves to look through. I found 8 40% silvers, and 1 90% silver.

I found some other dates as well. Does anyone know if dealers will buy circ bicentennial halves? I pulled out 50. Also, are 2000s or 2001s worth extra? I found three.

Thanks,

Zach

Okay, my turn. I went to the bank and got $200 in halves to look through. I found 8 40% silvers, and 1 90% silver.

I found some other dates as well. Does anyone know if dealers will buy circ bicentennial halves? I pulled out 50. Also, are 2000s or 2001s worth extra? I found three.

Thanks,

Zach

You would have thought that people would have hoarded the Bicentennial design, but that isn't the case. Out of a typical $500 box that I have searched, about 25-30% are '76. No, dealers aren't beating down the doors for these circulated coins.

The Mint did not release 2001 into general circulation, but in 2004 they began selling the 2001 in bags & rolls to the public. You can still purchase them from the Mint. $100 Mixed P&D bags sell for $135 and 2-roll sets (one each of P&D) sell for $35.50. Not long after this release started, they began appearing in bank rolls. It is not often that you will find a high-grade specimen in a bag or roll. I found three that I had graded by NGC. One came back MS67; one came back MS68, and the third is the one on my sig line.

I should also add that the Mint has not released any Kennedys into general circulation for any year since 2000. The only ones you may find are those that have been picked over and dumped into circulation. I'm wondering if the Mint will conduct the same program for 2002 & 2003 issues.

Chris

Thanks,

Zach

You would have thought that people would have hoarded the Bicentennial design, but that isn't the case. Out of a typical $500 box that I have searched, about 25-30% are '76. No, dealers aren't beating down the doors for these circulated coins.

The Mint did not release 2001 into general circulation, but in 2004 they began selling the 2001 in bags & rolls to the public. You can still purchase them from the Mint. $100 Mixed P&D bags sell for $135 and 2-roll sets (one each of P&D) sell for $35.50. Not long after this release started, they began appearing in bank rolls. It is not often that you will find a high-grade specimen in a bag or roll. I found three that I had graded by NGC. One came back MS67; one came back MS68, and the third is the one on my sig line.

I should also add that the Mint has not released any Kennedys into general circulation for any year since 2000. The only ones you may find are those that have been picked over and dumped into circulation. I'm wondering if the Mint will conduct the same program for 2002 & 2003 issues.

Chris

Thanks for the info, I'll pick through the bicentennials and throw the bad ones back. I'll keep the 2001 then, I didn't know if they released them or not, but I had bought a P+D set of rolls a few years ago.

Thanks,

Zach

I just finished going through all the halves I picked up. The second half (about $420) netted only 12 – 40% and 6 – 90%. My grand total:

66 – 40%

13 – 90%

I saw so many Bicentennial halves that I separated them out to see how many there were. Out of $820 the Bicentennials came to exactly $500. One of the 40% was a Bicentennial.

Hays

Sigh ... sometimes I really wish I were a richer grad student so I, too, could join in the fun of searching half dollar bank rolls en masse. I guess I'll just have to stick with my nickel and quarter roll searching.

But to the point of this thread ... that is an amazing find, especially all those Franlin halves. Congratulations!

And though this won't work for $250-worth of halves, two ways to reduce that number are (1) to offer them to friends/coworkers/family at face value (I've found that some of my friends are big on the novelty of, "Wow! A giant coin that I don't see every day!), and/or (2) use them as tips to the delivery guy/gal or at a restaurant or other places where tips are generally given. I used to do the latter with SBA and Sacagawea dollars because I would go to a local restaurant weekly with friends and we would just leave a big tip at the center of the table, but sometimes one or two wouldn't tip, and I wanted the waitress to remember/realize that I did leave my (more than) fair share in tips.

And the rest, just count yourself and roll them yourself if you can gind wrappers. When I was in high school, it was the second year of the state quarter program and I convinced our band director to let me count the change in the band's soda machine, and purchase the quarters I wanted. So nearly every 3 weeks, I would be sorting and counting and rolling several hundred dollars worth of quarters. So don't be lazy!

Wwwhhhooooooooo,,,,$500 box of halfs and NOT as good luck but, had fun (one box worth). Six(6) 40% halfs....$9.60 return on $500 investment for 24 hours is 694% annualized return on investment. But, I'm tired and that does not account for labor..... good experience as I have not done that since 1967. In '67 I had to roll them up and write name + account number to return unused coins. This time it took about 45 seconds in the counting machine at bank.

Not going to do that again for awhile. makepoint.gif

Regis

Wwwhhhooooooooo,,,,$500 box of halfs and NOT as good luck but, had fun (one box worth). Six(6) 40% halfs....$9.60 return on $500 investment for 24 hours is 694% annualized return on investment. But, I'm tired and that does not account for labor..... good experience as I have not done that since 1967. In '67 I had to roll them up and write name + account number to return unused coins. This time it took about 45 seconds in the counting machine at bank.

Not going to do that again for awhile. makepoint.gif

Regis

If you did it in '67, you could have just kept all the coins! 27_laughing.gif