• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I stroll into the bank today Part 2 ($250 more in Halves)

42 posts in this topic

So it seemed like a lot of folks enjoyed my first installment that I posted on Saturday reliving the tale of my recent bank rolls finds outlined here:

Part 1

So now it is on to Chapter two as I have acquired and opened the other $250 worth of Half dollar rolls from the bank. Did I find anymore Silver you ask.......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

newrolls.jpg

Well I know the suspense is killing you so let's not delay any further....

newrolls2.jpg

In the new batch I found:

(19) 40% Kennedy Halves

(1) 90% Kennedy Half

(6) Franklin halves

so that bring my grand total up to :

(34) 40% Kennedy Halves

(2) 90% Kennedy Halves

(11) Franklin Halves

(1) Walking Liberty Half

newrolls3.jpg

All in all not a bad haul for a very skeptical roll searcher and certainly a tale the proves that there is still some good stuff left in rolls thumbsup2.gif

I could but right now I happy with my finds and would rather worry about finding some half dollar rollers so I can actually return the rest of the clads tonofbricks.gif

One thing our local credit union has done is put in a coin counter. Just dump'm in and it gives you ticket for cashier. That $250 would take about a minute of noise and it's done.

You might check around.

yes...others have said the same thing but I haven't located a bank that has that yet....just the coinstars that charge a fee?

Yeah, don't use a coinstar. All Commerce banks have coin counters I think, at least all the ones around here.

I could but right now I happy with my finds and would rather worry about finding some half dollar rollers so I can actually return the rest of the clads tonofbricks.gif

Why didn't you ask your bank for the paper rolls? My bank gives them to me free by the boxload......5000 at a time. They told me that they rarely have use for them.

Chris

I did and they said they didn't have any.....that put a monkey wrench in my plans to cash the clads back in tomorrow....but I am still working on it....man I wish I could find a bank with a counting machine cloud9.gif

Paper rolls for halves seem scarcer than many key dates! Following in your footsteps I too stormed my banks today (only two in this small town) and was able to acquire only eight rolls. My hopes of finding anything dimmed as all eight rolls were in the flat rolls that banks usually hand out. My thought was they were already picked over, but as it turned out I did snag five 40% halves. Had to reuse the rolls they came in though – my bank didn’t have any either.

Hays

My understanding has been that banks frown on purchasing back rolls that were originally purchased from them. Have you considering spending them a little at a time? They would be great for a Happy Meal purchase. tongue.gif

p.s. I saw a statistic that stated that Happy Meal purchases make up 40% of McDonald's sales. Sounds high to me but I read it which means it must be true. tongue.gif

I can't take the time to spend the $400 as it came out of bill money so it has to go back in the account. I agree banks frown upon taking rolls back which is why I will be depositing them at a completely different bank smile.gif

I can't take the time to spend the $400 as it came out of bill money so it has to go back in the account. I agree banks frown upon taking rolls back which is why I will be depositing them at a completely different bank smile.gif

They only frown upon taking rolls back from customers they don't know too well. Start by complimenting the teller on her dress, her hair or her eyes. If the teller is a guy, don't compliment him on anything..........he might get the wrong impression.

Chris

They only frown upon taking rolls back from customers they don't know too well. Start by complimenting the teller on her dress, her hair or her eyes. If the teller is a guy, don't compliment him on anything..........he might get the wrong impression.

Chris

Look Chris....I really do like you and all but I am not about to start taking women advice from a single guy getting cups of coffeee from Burger King for a quarter....

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

Chris

Look Chris....I really do like you and all but I am not about to start taking women advice from a single guy getting cups of coffeee from Burger King for a quarter....

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

Hah! That's how much you know! BK gives me $5 to take my business to MickeyD's. I've been the marriage route twice and I have two kids 17 years apart. I'm not about to have a 3rd now that another 17 years have passed.

Chris

PS. I was going to be nice and send you the rollers if you got rebuffed by your teller. But, then I realized there would be no "IF" about it because you have been married so long that you don't know how to talk to (other) women any more.

SAY PLEASE!!!

So it seemed like a lot of folks enjoyed my first installment that I posted on Saturday reliving the tale of my recent bank rolls finds ....................................

You brought back some nostalia for me so, I ordered a lot of rolls of half's today at the bank. They don't stock them so, I'll see what they have at their coin vault.

Are there any kennedy's worth looking for, other than 1964's?? I beleive my weekend is planned!

So it seemed like a lot of folks enjoyed my first installment that I posted on Saturday reliving the tale of my recent bank rolls finds ....................................

You brought back some nostalia for me so, I ordered a lot of rolls of half's today at the bank. They don't stock them so, I'll see what they have at their coin vault.

Are there any kennedy's worth looking for, other than 1964's?? I beleive my weekend is planned!

I believe that the 1987 was never released into general circulation.

Chris

Hey, Shane, this is what I was going to tell you earlier:

I was talking with a casual acquaintance of mine today, and we both discovered that the other not only collects coins, but searches rolls and bags as well. I mentioned that I order $500 boxes from the FRB through my bank. He told me that he doesn't waste his time with the rolls because so many of them have been previously searched. He told me that the bank can order $5000 bags from the FRB which are, for the most part, unsearched. He told me that he routinely gets $100-$200 in 90% silver from a bag.

I'm going to my bank tomorrow to see if they can order a bag for me. If so, I'll let you know what kind of results I get from it.

Chris

PS. I couldn't respond earlier because I was filling out 210 FL Lotto entries........$80,000,000+

Shane: You got me into the hunting fever so I asked a couple of branches of the bank I use for some half rolls and both places looked at me like I was crazy. Are these "big" banks you got these rolls from?

Chris, thanks for the heads up on the 1987. I didn't know that. And as for "complimenting the guy", I once got $10 in silver dimes just because I was a guy. Many years ago I was regular at a certain bank and quite friendly with a couple of girls who worked there. They told me that a certain cashier had the dimes but wouldn't sell them. I asked him and he sold them to me on the spot. They were shocked. And there were no "compliments" other than "Thanks"!

Didn't see that one Travis.....no SMS or Proof though I found 5 of the 40% that were polished to the point of looking like proofs smile.gif

As for other things to look for there are quite a few Double die to look for in the clad run from 1971 to 1992 just check out this site for a list an description of what you should be looking for

CONECA

crazyboutcoins

Nope....not a large bank just a small credit union but remember I said I have asked many times over the years and they never had any until this past weekend and all of those came from a little old lady that cashed them in as part of her savings. That gives me reason to believe that these rolls may not have been frsh rolls but rather might have been purchased many years ago.....the newest coins were dated 1995 I believe so???

I had to do an overnight in the big city of Lexington, KY so I went to a couple of banks and picked up….nothing. Then I went to a few more – still nothing. No one had any halves at all. It became some sort of quest and 15 banks later I finally gathered just over $800 in halves. Just got home and set them down (40lbs or so). I’ll tell you want I find tomorrow.

Hays

I've gone through about half of them and have found nothing but Kennedys.

54 - 40%

7 - 90%

Not a bad haul - if silver doesn't drop out from under it! Silver is down $2 right now.

Hays