• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question needed answer

2 posts in this topic

I have the coin shown on the picture. The coin is red with some black spots mainly on the cheek (the other side is totally red). This black spots are not corrosion or something bad but I suspect mainly dirt.

The question is: Is it possible for NCS to clean this spots without affecting the red of the coin? I mean is it worth the try?

Best regards

John

1L_1879.jpg

The red color on copper coins can be very fragile. When a red copper coin is evaluated for conservation the fragility of that color is taken into consideration. Frequently coins will be deemed "no conservation" based on this fact alone.

If it is felt that the color on this coin will be maintained after conservation, there likely will still be spots on the coin. The active residues can be removed, but the toning has changed the surface of the coin and that can not be changed to return the coin to completely red.

Chris, NCS