• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PVC revisited!

13 posts in this topic

I recently got a coin back from ANACS (that I had paid $16.00+ to have graded) that just said "PVC", and was in a clear flip instead of a slab. I called ANACS but the young guy on the phone wasn't very knowledgeable or helpful and just said it had PVC residue on it and I should soak it in pure acetone and clean it "with a cue-tip" and to re-submit it (for another $5.00). HUH? mad.gif

This is around a MS 64-65 S.L.Quarter, so somehow I don't think I'm gonna rub it with a Q-tip!! I read a similar thread but there were no precise instructions as to how to actually clean it. Can someone please give me specific instructions as to how to "clean" it with acetone so as to not hurt it? By the way, all I can see without a magnifying glass is a little slight discoloring on the rim. Is that PVC? What IS this dreaded "PVC" anyway?

Oh, I also called a couple drug stores and they didn't have any "pure" acetone. Home Depot only has it in gallon cans for $8.-$9. Where can I get a small bottle of it anyway? Why didn't ANACS just slab it with a "PVC" notice on the label, like they do with damaged or "cleaned" coins?

Thanks.

Acetone is also the main ingredient in nail polish remover. It is not industrial strength but you may not need that much either. I'd try that first.

PVC is a plastic residue that comes from soft vinyl flips that were common over the past 30 years. The vinyl does not react well with coins and begins to erode the surface. If is not removed it will contiue to do damage. TPG's will not grade coins with it until the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it works. I have several coins that were given to me by a relative that were in an old vinyl squeeze change purse the past forty five years. They are common coins but many have PVC all over them.

Thanks for the info TJ!

What I really would like to know is, exactly HOW do I use the acetone on it? Do I just "dip" it in it for a few seconds, or let it soak in a dish of it for a half hour or what?

As was mentioned, if the PVC stays on the coin it could begin to etch into the surface and damage the coin.

Don't use finger nail polish. It contains added oils and scents and who knows what else that you don't want on your coin. I purchased a small can at a drug store. You may be as well off to get the gallon from Home Depot since the small can I bought cost almost as much.

You may have to soak the coin for a while. You may even want to soak it multiple times, getting fresh acetone each time. Do a final rinse by pouring some acetone over the coin so you don't have a film of the disolved residue left on the coin. I have soaked coins over night before. Make sure you put it in a container that won't react with the acetone (like glass) and has a lid since acetone will evaporate quickly.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

After you are done with your one minute or more soak in acetone, remove the coin and repeatedly flip it over on a clean 100% cotton towel and just let it air dry. I use a clear glass dish; never needed to do a long time soak. The grading services often overlook a tiny bit of DEAD PVC residue, the tiny blobs which look almost colorless. It is the bright green stuff they do not accept. I would not pick at the dead PVC.

By the way, my experience has not been with modern coins in high grade.

Don't use a Q-tip!! I ruined some Walkers in my rookie days using ms70 and Q-tips. Left hairlines all over them. Any abrasive cleaning method will leave hairlines.

RGT said it well. I agree 100%.

I use a shot glass the right size to keep the face of the coin from touching the glass. A final pour rinse is really important.

Something else to keep in mind is that the acetone will remove everything organic making minor contact marks and any damage under the PVC to really stand out. Not all coins come out looking better.

After you are done with your one minute or more soak in acetone, remove the coin and repeatedly flip it over on a clean 100% cotton towel and just let it air dry. I use a clear glass dish; never needed to do a long time soak. The grading services often overlook a tiny bit of DEAD PVC residue, the tiny blobs which look almost colorless. It is the bright green stuff they do not accept. I would not pick at the dead PVC.

By the way, my experience has not been with modern coins in high grade.

I dunno. I've had some coins returned DOA for PVC and not seen any green by my eye. Maybe it's cause I'm still a newbie and not looking for the same signs.

In fact I've not had much luck at all even with the NCS conservation service for PVC or ENV returns. And all that money between grading & attempted repair adds up quick! I like that at least ANCS let's you give it another go for only $5. As it is, I'm in a quandry about what to do with some Barber dimes & Peace Dollars & 60's Silver proofs. frustrated.gif

Hi Finest,

That's truly a bummer getting bodybagged for PVC. Good luck with the conservation process.grin.gif

Just wanted to add that acetone is a wonderful solvent but is highly volatile (i.e. evaporates very rapidly). Make sure your work area is well ventilated, and try to avoid inhaling the vapor.

As for smaller quantities, you may be able to find quart or even pint cans at either Sears or an auto parts store.

Regards,

Beijim

Please keep in mind that acetone is incredibly flammable and that using it in any area that is not well ventilated may easily lead to headache, loss of consciousness or even death by asphyxiation. If you are carefull with acetone you should have no problems with it, but if you are not carefull then you are leaving yourself open to a heap of trouble.