• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Lovely new coins guys!!

Here are my humble new babys.. a 1973 PR69 Dcam Half and a 2002 PR69 Dcam Clad Ohio quarter.

122567.jpg.35dd63122d7913b7f357e9ff55252bda.jpg

122568.jpg.a5685ea622e5988309354ff26f3f023b.jpg

122569.jpg.621bc2e634d3a4a47662c90cefa76ada.jpg

122570.jpg.398d05513bd048b630a89ccd6263f036.jpg

A couple of new pickups last week.

I wish the fields on this one were cleaner and deeper, but the frosty gold color on the obverse is just beautiful.

19501c-1.jpg

This one was a significant upgrade to my previous 1957 Franklin proof.

195750c-1.jpg

This one has a beautiful tone to it.

196250c.jpg

Very sharp EDS strike on this one.

19691c-1.jpg

Incredible 2 sided frost on this baby.

196950c.jpg

I spotted this toner on eBay, and snagged it for $49. The eBay pics showed hints of tone, but it exceeded my expectations in hand.

In addition to the original eBay images, I am adding both the direct light (luster emphasized) and axial light images (color emphasized).

The original eBay pics:

1938D_Nickel_MS66_NGC_eBay_pics.jpg

The direct light images:

1938D_Nickel_MS66_NGC_direct.jpg

The axial light images:

1938D_Nickel_MS66_NGC_axial.jpg

Specimen; they dole out "SP" grades for SMS coins.

PCGS gives them Specimen grades, as coinman states.

NGC labels them as SMS, but gives them an "MS" grade.

Thanks for clarifying the ambiguity in my statement. By "they," I was referring to PCGS. I hope my post wasn't misleading (i.e. NGC and PCGS do use different nomenclatures).

Specimen; they dole out "SP" grades for SMS coins.

PCGS gives them Specimen grades, as coinman states.

NGC labels them as SMS, but gives them an "MS" grade.

Thanks for clarifying the ambiguity in my statement. By "they," I was referring to PCGS. I hope my post wasn't misleading (i.e. NGC and PCGS do use different nomenclatures).

PCGS will give SMS coins from the 1960s either the MS or the SP designation (there are plenty of examples of both the MS and the SP designation). They are somewhat inconsistent. They (PCGS) have also used both MS and SP designations for the satin finish coins from 2005-2010. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason for the varied use of the SP vs MS designation by PCGS on these 1960s and 2005-2010 coins.

If you don't believe me on how inconsistent they are do an eBay search for "PCGS SMS 196*" and you will see a bit of everything.

BRG- I never noticed that about PCGS. But what I have noticed is that almost every proof coin they grade from the 1980's - today says "DCAM." Atleast that what I have seen on Ebay and every clad coin in my collection from 1995-2010 that is graded by PCGS is a PF--- DCAM. I think its over used by them IMO.

But heres what I just bought on Ebay.

Just purchased on Ebay!

I do not know the values of colonial spanish silver coins. But this one looked in decent cond. and I have been wanting to add one to my "odds" collection.

What do you guys think?

-Dave