• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,915 posts in this topic

That is extremely cool IGWT....is that and error or pattern or dial trial.....what the heck is it? I thought it was a patttern but then it looks like and error pattern or something so how about educating us on what we are looking at partner (thumbs u

What's the story on that one, IGWT? It's fantastic!

Taxay refers generally to the 5c patterns of 1867: "When, in 1867, Longacre removed the rays from among the stars, many persons thought that one or the other of the two varieties was counterfeit. Rumors grew so persistent that the Mint considered abandoning the shield and starry circle altogether, and a number of new models were prepared." D. Taxay, The U.S. Mint and Coinage at 245 (1966 & 1983 ARCO Pub. Ed.). Taxay does not provide any citation to the record. Roger Burdette, however, just recently found a letter from Linderman to McCulloch dated June 19, 1867, that fully supports Taxay's statement, and it clearly refers to the design of J-A1867-15 (which is the hub trial for J-566).

Just one week earlier, on June 12, 1867, Longacre had written his own letter to Secretary McCulloch advocating for the adoption of J-561 (struck in aluminum) for regular coinage. The formality of the times and the chain of command required Longacre to send his letter to McCulloch through Linderman. Given the thoughts that Linderman expressed in the June 19 letter, I wonder whether he even bothered to forward Longacre's June 12 letter to McCulloch. In any event, both preceded the uniform minor coinage proposal of 1868; and, although neither design was adopted, both are very important parts to the story of the 5c piece in the history of our federal coinage.

J-A1867-9 is to J-561 what J-A1867-15 is to J-566. Both hub trials go together and should stay together; so, I'm thrilled to place them side-by-side as they likely appeared on Longacre's workbench.

J-A1867-9ObvRev.jpg

J-A1867-15ObvRev.jpg

Well I picked up another great deal on eBay.

The 1971-S is very hard to find ultra cameo on both sides.

There it a total of only 150 coins graded ultra cameo and

only 46 graded at the PF68UC level.

I picked this one up for $30.25......numismedia price $200.

1971-S.jpg

Stgecko, nice looking Lincoln. (thumbs u

Shane, excellent endrollers! :applause:

IGWT, very cool looking patterns! :applause:

Schatzy, that's a fun proof. (thumbs u

You actually can't see the coins but you can see the box they came in today at the bottom of the picture. ;) Ok... so they likely aren't anything real "special" but it does feel good to have the full set... well at least the ones represented by the stars on my American flag.

HFRTN-995104513-P9100322.JPG

!983 Double Die Reverse

Found this while using new QX-5-Probably AU since it was in circulation.1983back-1.jpg

I was offered $125 for it.

Good deal or not??

Thanks!!!

Cool, Steve!

I'd take it. Where else could you earn a 12,499% profit over face value?

Chris

You actually can't see the coins but you can see the box they came in today at the bottom of the picture. ;) Ok... so they likely aren't anything real "special" but it does feel good to have the full set... well at least the ones represented by the stars on my American flag.

HFRTN-995104513-P9100322.JPG

Check the 2005 KS 25c for the die gouge on the bison.

Did you happen to notice the Mint "Packaging Error"? Note the positioning of the dates, 2007 & 2008, on the boxes in relation to the previous years. I'm surprised someone on eBay hasn't hyped this and tried to sell a set for $10K.

Chris

Nice coins everyone. Here are my very latest to fill holes in the Dansco.

PCGS MS65

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

NGC MS66

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

I bought the coin and not the slab on these, do not fear. It blows me away how many digs are on the PCGS coin.

Just love the cent in the Silver Proof set.

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

Very nice Morgan Shane!!

Great silver sets there Richard. I hope to be able to get a complete set again one day.

Bobby, I'm still holding onto yours. You can have them back whenever you want.

Chris