• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

lower the ceiling over the safe and it can't be lifted onto a dolly.Then ramset or nail gun

steel flat stock to the floor front and side so it can't be shifted out from under the ceiling.

Then you can sleep soundly

That's a lovely Merc. grin.gif

Bruce, that safe is as tall as me! 893whatthe.gif

-Amanda

John thats a bit much if you ask me. Amanda don't feel bad. It is just over 5 feet tall. I am sure it is about as tall as quite a few people.

Image_0888.jpg

Image_0891.jpg

Back to the safe. Bolt it down. 800# is nothing. Two guys with the right dolly and it's out the door and in the truck. smile.gif

I'd guess 63 Cameo. Nice Barber proof. thumbsup2.gif

I love the Barber series. Very nice coin. Some thread was talking about unsung coins and I have got to believe that Barber coinage is right there. And I concur that two men of Victor's and I size could make off with an 800# safe. If bolting to the floor is no good, go through the back into wall (you may need to add blocking though). Better safe than sorry.

Thanks guys. It's a 64 with great mirrors. The image makes it look a bit more cam than it is. The straight on shot was all I could do with it. Tilting to pick up the mirrors just didn't look right. I'm still having a tough time with taking images and slabs. The slab needs a polish before I try again. Another great coin from Mark Feld.

I'm still having a tough time with taking images and slabs.

Join the crowd. smile.gif I think that was a pretty good effort and bet the coin is MUCH more impressive if you flash the mirrors.

A few tips (not that I've mastered the art, and there are many coins that simply defy in-slab photography). Hope these helps:

1) Longer lenses help a huge amount.

2) Keep the light as close to the camera as possible. Moving the light "above" the camera will often allow you to get even closer.

3) If the coin is in the slab tilted at a small angle, use this to your advantage. When you're taking the photo, try moving the light in a circle around the camera until you find the area that "lights up" the coin the most.

4) For the most impossible coins, I've found that using extremely diffused lights (using a photographers diffuser or a piece of paper) then just shooting through the slab glare can result in images that can be maniuplated in post processing (to remove the contrast lost) to resemble the coin's color and look.

Hope this helps. Take care...Mike

p.s. here are two more NEWPs from FUN, both compliments of Mark Feld.

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

I’m jealous that you have that safe Bruce thumbsup2.gif. That’s awesome. I have a small one but I put a bunch of old weights that I no longer use in the bottom of it. You could do something similar to add weight to it. While it may be feasible to make off with a safe, I never consider it likely.

Image_0888.jpg

Image_0891.jpg

Back to the safe. Bolt it down. 800# is nothing. Two guys with the right dolly and it's out the door and in the truck. smile.gif

I'd guess 63 Cameo. Nice Barber proof. thumbsup2.gif

I said 63 Cameo since it looked so much like my 63 Cameo

1911PF63obv1225.jpg

1911PF63rev1226.jpg

At any rate it is definately a beauty. thumbsup2.gif

Winston I agree with you. Its not likely to happen. In fact where I live is pretty quiet. Some robber hauling a safe off is the least of my worries.

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate that. I'm using a copy stand, Canon Digital Rebel, a Canon 100mm/2.8 macro lens and 2 OTT lights. It's a lot of trial and error, but at least I'm not paying for film. laugh.gif

I was going to mention that show, Michael but i didn't think anyone else watched it. With some coordinated effort, these guys have taken all safes I've seen them handle.

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate that. I'm using a copy stand, Canon Digital Rebel, a Canon 100mm/2.8 macro lens and 2 OTT lights. It's a lot of trial and error, but at least I'm not paying for film. laugh.gif

Ott light Spots ???

I was going to mention that show, Michael but i didn't think anyone else watched it. With some coordinated effort, these guys have taken all safes I've seen them handle.

Its a geat show depicting how STUPID people can be. I liked the one where the dude Robbed a house with the LADY IN THE HOUSE and she had no clue.

Nice that he is on the GOOD side and not the "darkside" now smile.gif ( Pun intended for my amusement )

there's also the possibility of being robbed at gun point, having to open the safe and release the contents. Unless you're willing to die for your 19th century silver, or 1921 Peace dollar (nyuk nyuk), an additional insurance policy might be a good investment.

1853HalfDollarO.jpg

1853HalfDollarR.jpg

I added this 1853 Arrows and Rays half dollar to my collection at the recent FUN Show. It's got lots of luster, and was better than a couple of other pieces I saw on the floor. It's in an NGC MS-64 holder.

Ott light Spots ???

No, I have the ones that flip open. The bulb is about 6-8 inches long. Sometimes I wish I did have the spot light, but these work pretty good.

Bob u use the the same lighting as me. OTT flip opens.

About the only only problem I have with them is the space I've got them in. I've got the copy stand and the lights between a wall and my computer. My camera is connected to the computer. It's so handy having everything close. But I think I've taken it to an extreme. I'll have to look for a longer usb and another power strip so I can move everything to the opposite side where there's more room. smile.gif Good lights though. Not heavy and they rotate. thumbsup2.gif