• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Winston, if you saw this coin in-hand you would not think it too clean for me; it is dark and the surfaces quite nice. The image is taken with quite a bit of light and the deep navy is not showing up. The coin is relatively high in grade (EF45) and it did not pick up much circulation dirt, nor did it pick up any real circulation marks or injuries. It fits quite well with my other coins.

Ah, that makes sense. Nice pickup thumbsup2.gif

I posted after the Baltimore show that I purchased three coins, and one of those coins was immediately put on the boards, but the other two coins were never shared. This is one of the two previously not shown coins. It is an 1806/5 Draped Bust half graded EF45 by PCGS. The images, while quite good, really do not capture the character of the coin. The areas that appear darker on the screen are actually a deep, frosty navy in color while the remainder of the coin is the grey that appears in the images.

1532234-CopyofI1806P45.jpg

1532235-CopyofI1806P45R.jpg

I was beginning to wonder about that. I thought you may have left them at Bob's house. Tom, I'm not very knowledgeable on Bust Halves, but I just noticed that 6 of the stars on the obverse appear larger than the other 7. It doesn't look like it's due to wear either. Can you explain?

Chris

that's an excellent coin Tom, a very fortunate find and a great pick.

This 1809 looks quite nice and is a fairly high grade, too. Are the images correct in portraying the coin as a neutral auburn or is the coin lighter and more grey in-hand? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I have the feeling that I would like this coin in-hand.

Thanks guys. I was hoping for your opinions 893crossfingers-thumb.gif The coin may be a little more gray but it isn’t lighter. If anything the coin is darker than the picture portrays, at least on my monitor. Looks to be a plain edge variety. The coin is raw. Do you think it has a shot at AU? What about after a quick dip 893whatthe.gif? Totally just joking with you guys tongue.gif

My 1827 has stars extending towards the rim like that, and someone told me it was because it was a late die state. Someone could have been pulling my leg, though. insane.gif

1918Svert.jpg

Here is a new buffalo for my quirky herd. grin.gif

He's got reverse clash marks in the usual place near EPU from the Indian's neck, but curiously there are no matching marks under the Indian's chin. This leads me to believe that the obverse die was either effaced or changed while the reverse die was left alone. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, something about the rims nags at the back of my mind, but I can't quite put my finger on it. confused-smiley-013.gif

The strike for this issue is often INCREDIBLY weak, owing to several factors like worn dies and an increased distance between dies during striking.

Also, the first two digits in the date are often weak, as is seen on this example.

With a mintage of 4.8 million, it's a nice date, hardly a key though.

I grade this one a strong G-6. smile.gif

-Amanda

What is imaged with the stars "pulling" toward the rim is not an artifact of the image. This may in part be due to die fatigue, but might more likely be due to the fact that no restraining collar was used with these pieces when minted. The open collar used on this series allowed the metal to flow not only into the design elements but also allowed it to flow toward the edge. This resulted in halves that might be somewhat different in diameter as well as spread or pulled letters, numbers and stars.

What is imaged with the stars "pulling" toward the rim is not an artifact of the image. This may in part be due to die fatigue, but might more likely be due to the fact that no restraining collar was used with these pieces when minted. The open collar used on this series allowed the metal to flow not only into the design elements but also allowed it to flow toward the edge. This resulted in halves that might be somewhat different in diameter as well as spread or pulled letters, numbers and stars.
Tnanks Tom. I'm not a bust half guy and I happen to have an 1817 and mine does not display similar stars. That's why I asked. Thanks for the info.

I traded an MS-63 1909S VDB Lincon cent for this piece a few days ago.....how did I do?

1537752-double_eagle_front.jpg

I think you did fairly well if you ask me. Whats the grade on this coin???

I like that Frankiln, Larry. laugh.gif

What makes it a Type 2?

1853arrows.jpg

My dad bought me this dime for my type collection. I am not sure about how original it is, though. It's got an odd sort of sheen to it, that doesn't translate well in the images, unfortunately.

Any ideas? confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

-Amanda

First off, not too shabby a trade for a '09-S VDB. wink.gif

Fun "with arrows" Amanda.

Nice looking Frankie Larry! thumbsup2.gif

What makes it a Type 2?

The type refers to the eagle on the reverse. The Type 1 has a low relief eagle with 4 feathers to the left of the perch. All 1956 business strikes were type 1. The Type 2 has a high relief eagle with 3 feathers to the left of the perch. In 1956 roughly 95% of the proofs were type 2.

Bruce...thanks... my most recent newps are some early copper pieces I picked up from some board members from the other website. I got an 1852 (VF30) and a '54 (XF40) from Rare Coins of New Hampshire and a '56 from a different board member. The '56 came in PCI plastic at XF45 but I grade it more conservatively at 35 with some small carbon spots on the reverse. I'll try to get pics over the holidays.

L