• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,903 posts in this topic

Holy Smokes! The 1894 is a freakin' tough Barber half dollar! 893whatthe.gif Folks who don't collect this series have no idea how truly difficult this coin is. thumbsup2.gif

Holy Smokes! The 1894 is a freakin' tough Barber half dollar! 893whatthe.gif Folks who don't collect this series have no idea how truly difficult this coin is. thumbsup2.gif

I don't collect the series like you do, but I know thats one smokin RARE coin. Thanks for sharing!

One more recent one for s#@*% and grin.gifs

1826o.jpg

1826r.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

This is a '26 O-106...

Edited by MBA101

Winston, I like the '93-CC that's cool! thumbsup2.gif

Mike, that's a cool coin, what is it? I've heard something about Hibernia coins, is that one? I'm guessing it's English of some variety.

This is a pretty good site on Colonial coinage in general, though somewhat limited on some types of coins, but I'll direct you to the Hibernia part:

Hibernia

Apparently William Woods owned some copper and tin mines and was authorized to produce coins for Ireland and the American colonies. Apparently the copper was mined in England.

The obverse is of King George I and the reverse is the personification of Hibernia.

Apparently they weren't well accepted in the colonies. The same holds true for the Rosa Americana (also Woods) which I believe were of lesser quality than the Hibernias.

A different view is given by Article by Brian Danforth who feels they were more accepted than thought by others.

I wish I could say more, but I'd probably give misinformation since I'm trying to learn more about them myself. Perhaps there is a colonial collector on the board who could add to this or correct any wrong information I might have given.

Jtryka,

I didn’t know you collected CBHs. That looks like a nice one thumbsup2.gif

Collect is a strong word! Let's just say on various occasions I find a bust half that calls out to me like this one did today. It was marked as an O-106, but I have not confirmed that yet.

Another CBH for my collection. Again, not the highest grade but a seemingly original piece.

1440572-New1826CBHVF30.jpg

1440572-New1826CBHVF30.jpg.40d71a0681e7450d2bf8371fec0154fc.jpg

Edited by TJ'S Coins

The 16th was my 49th Birthday and I treated myself to this coin: smile.gif

PCGS MS64 RB

18652CObv.jpg

18652CRev.jpg

May go in my DANSCO 7070 at some date in the future. wink.gif Purchased from stephunter across the street, his pic.