• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1811/0 Large Cent that is corroded

2 posts in this topic

I have an 1811/0 large cent that was submitted to another service for grading, but returned with no grade because of active corroding. Can NCS help me out here? I would like to have the coin conserved then graded by NGC. Also, once/if graded, will the "slab" say anything about the conservation?

Thanks,

Jay

I would not be able to comment about your coin specifically but I can give you a general answer based on the description you provide. Likely we could reduce the level of corrosion on your coin, but it will still be deemed corroded by any third party grading service. While we could improve the appearance of the coin and its long-term storage stability, the coin will still have impaired surfaces that will cause it to "no grade." If this coin was submitted to us, we could conserve the coin and then encapsulated it in an NCS Details Grade holder. There are exceptions to this kind of situation, but in general coins such as the one you described can not be made gradeable by NGC.

Chris, NCS