• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i apologize , i am new to this,,,

6 posts in this topic

i am getting my coins ready to be sent out for my first time grading ever.

then it asks me for a "declared value"

am i putting what i paid for the coin? ,, what i think its worth? , what its worth at the highest grade? im very confused and i do not want to put the wrong amount.

for example , one of my coins is a 1996 w dime. it is still in the original mint packaging,

the submission form is for ngc , and is as follows:

quantity

coin date

mint mark

denomination

ms or pr

variety

minimum grade

certification #

declared value

most of them are self explanitory , but im confused what to put for declared value.

if someone could please explain how i come up with a price for that box, i would be most appreciative.

also it says to ship in non pvc flips , but other than that , does it matter what kind of packaging i use for shipment?

maybe someone could give me some advice as to that also?

and dont be afraid to talk to me like im slow in the head.

thanks in advance!

Bill makepoint.gif

Declared value is for insurance purposes when they send the coin back to you. The post office will only pay you what the coin is worth should it be lost or stolen. No need to apoogize, we've all been new to this at one time.

Won't they charge extra to take the coin out of the original mint packaging? I thought I read that somewhere recently. I just sent my first batch to NGC last week.

You put the coins in non-PVC flips. You put your invoice number on each flip. You rubberband them together in the order they are listed on your invoice. This is in the instructions on the back of the invoice. I also put my last name and first initial on each flip, but that might be overkill.

Send the coins USPS Registered Mail. If you have never sent registered mail, contact your post office for instructions. I got there with my coins in a padded envelope. According to the post office I took the package to, they don't allow padded envelopes for Registered Mail. (Your mileage may vary on that one.) I went back with a Priority Mail box with a label I printed online. That was wrong too. The clerk (different post office) make me wrap the entire box, except for where the address showed, with brown paper tape. The kind of tape you have to moisten to apply. She said they don't allow labels ON the package because anyone could peel it off and put their own label on. So the brown tape had to be OVER the edges of the label. Then, she postmarked EVERY seam on the tape. She put about 50 postmarks on the package. Then she put the postage and Registered Mail onto it. Like I said, you mileage may vary. But I would recommend you don't use padded envelope and don't use a label. Don't wrap the package in clear tape as they can't post mark on the slick surface.

Jonathan

thank you all for the advice ,

price i paid or want them insured for ,,, usps registered mail , no padded envelopes ,, no slick tape, no labels , gotcha

i think in all honesty i am going to like these boards,, the people here seem kind , and knowledgable.

thanks again for your time.

Bill

-----------------------------

year one almost complete , and im still way behind. and someone just outbid me on a pcgs 1996 w ms68fb dime , im so disapointed.

I believe that they charge $1.00 to take a coin out of it's original mint packaging. To me it's worth a dollar to send it in it's original packaging and let them encapsolate it w/o the coin going through the pvc slip at all.