• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TPG companies

17 posts in this topic

I hope this is the right forum to post this in? If not perhaps a moderator can move it?

I just recently began low level, but actively, collecting (and selling a few) coins again after over a twenty year hiatus. It's obvious that nowadays "slabbing" has become a big-time and accepted, if not expected, part of buying and selling better grade and rare date coins and currency.

I faintly recall that ANACS was sort of the "Godfather" of slabbers back in the late '70's & early '80's, but now it appears that others have moved to the top positions. I would like to know which of the current 3-4 TPG's are the "best" or most respected, etc. by hobbyists, starting with number one, on down? From what I've observed, it seems that PCGS & NGC are the top two, is that correct? Or is there a lot of debate on this subject? Is ANACS still considered a reliably accurate grader? How about NGC & PCI?

I would appreciate as many opinions as possible from knowlegeable collectors who collect, buy or sell "slabbed" coins. To a lesser degree, I'd like to know which are the best paper money slabbers, if there are more than one? Thanks!

In my opinion here's the order of top TPG's:

1) NGC

2) PCGS

3) ANACS

4) ICG

That's just my opinion, many other people will have very different views. Most of us believe that PCGS, NGC, and ANACS are top three, however.

Paper money is a totally different story. Here's how I rank them:

1) CGA

2) PCGS

3) PMG

Again, just my opinion. I believe that paper money grading is still too infant to tell which TPG's are actually "better" than others.

I would basically agree with Chad on his listing of TPG's. One needs to consider the coin that is being graded too. PCGS has only begun to attribute Morgans, Capped Bust Halves, etc. That is an altogether different game than merely authenticating, assigning a grade and slabbing a coin. NCG and ANACS have been doing this much, much longer so should have an edge in experience. ICG offers intercept shield inserts into their holders. I like these for my toned coins since they add protection inside the slab which should delay further unwanted toning. When it comes to Morgans I have found ICG to be a strict, conservative grading company. ANACS will grade problem coins by assigning an overall detail grade followed by a NET grade. This is helpful for those with cleaned, whizzed or damaged coins who want them authenticated and slabbed. NCS will do the same in connection with NCG. With their new holders ANACS for non-problem coins it appears ANACS is trying to move up on the list. However, James at EarlyUS has noted how easily these slabs come apart which would allow potential substitution or alteration for a dishonest seller. Hopefully quality control at ANACS will correct this problem.

The best advice is to purchase the coin, not the slab. Learn to grade coins on your own so that you may determine if the coin is accurately graded and whether or not it is a premium quality example for the grade or one that barely makes it. Slabs from the four major companies authenticate coins so that you will not be purchasing a counterfeit product. Other than that, the better one becomes at grading, the less reliant they become on the TPG's.

Paper money is something I cannot help you with. Welcome to the boards, FinestKnown!

Thanks Michael. I agree! I've seen a lot of slabbed coins that I didn't like and wouldn't even even consider buying, because they had little or no eye appeal!

Hey Jim,

Anyone ever confuse you with the dealer "Finest Known"?

Until I saw your post that's who I thought you were. 27_laughing.gif

I think PCGS is the top dog when it comes to resale value and grading accuracy,but NGC is close behind with their lower fees and great customer service. I have never really liked ICG,and prefered ANACS but with their new holder,ANACS has fallen quite a bit in my eyes. I think these two services are approaching equality,but I don't think I'll be submitting to either of these services anytime soon,NGC has become my main avenue of certification.

Hayden

First of all, remember that there exactly FOUR - AND ONLY FOUR - companies that certify coins and grades. Those four are (in no particular order): NGC, PCGS, ICG and ANACS. NO OTHER U.S. COMPANY CERTIFIES COINS! This is extremely important to know. Other companies, such as NTC, ACG, NTC, PCI and SEGS do grade and encapsulate coins, but they DO NOT CERTIFY coins.

Now, to answer your question, I personally feel that NONE of the four companies mentioned is any better than the other three! In other words, I would rank all four equally because each company grades to it's own standards. The goal is for you to discover which company grades closest according to your own standards.

On the other hand, in terms of the strength and quality of their grading guarantee, I would rank them as follows:

#1 NGC without question. I've been through the wringer with all four companys' grading guarantes, and NGC is by far the most honest and straightforward. There is simply nobody else that even comes close.

#2 ANACS.

#3 PCGS, but it's a very distant third place. The infamous Norweb Hibernia tells the whole story here.

#4 ICG has never honored their guarantee for an obvious grading problem for me.

These are based on my own actual personal experience in using grading guarantees, and not what I hear from others. Other collectors have certainly had different experiences from me.

Honestly, I think it's foolish to try and rank the companies based on grades, because as I stated, they all have different standards. Why would you try to rank companies on an attribute that is different between each company? Makes no sense to me.

Regarding paper money, I personally can't stand certification of paper money. Since notes are serialized, do we really need ANOTHER serial number to track a particular note's value? Just my opinion, I guess. On the other hand, I really truly despise certification of stamps. It's insanesly ridiculous for something as tiny and light as a stamp to be stuck in a homongously gigantic holder. Again, just my opinion.

James

PS: My next "What You Need To Know" article will explore more in-depth how to distinguish "certification" from merely "grading" and "encapsulation".

Hey Jim,

I think PCGS is the top dog when it comes to resale value and grading accuracy,but NGC is close behind with their lower fees and great customer service. I have never really liked ICG,and prefered ANACS but with their new holder,ANACS has fallen quite a bit in my eyes. I think these two services are approaching equality,but I don't think I'll be submitting to either of these services anytime soon,NGC has become my main avenue of certification.

Hayden

Hi Hayden,

Nooooo, I'm not that dealer called "finestknown" on eBay! "Errorist" asked me that on another thread too. Actually, when I registered here, they had me list two names, and Finest Known was my second choice, but for some reason they've made it my posting name and my 1st choice is my "login" name now. Strange!

Guess it's time for me to change my handle here, huh? confused.gif Can I change my name this soon, although I've only been registered here for a few days?

By the way, what is the problem you mentioned with ANAC's new holders? I assume you mean their new, blue, odd-shaped holders? I had a few coins slabbed by them in Feb. and they sent them to me in those blue holders. Are they insecure or something?

Jim / Finest Known (only on this site)

Hi James,

Thanks for sharing your experienced-based, informative comments. They are a great help.

I'm not familiar with the Norweb Hibernia situation you mentioned. Is there a post regarding that here, or what is it about?

Jim/Finest Known

By the way, what is the problem you mentioned with ANAC's new holders?

From what I've read, you can break the seal just by twisting the holder with both hands.

Hey Jim,

Hayden

Hi Hayden,

Nooooo, I'm not that dealer called "finestknown" on eBay! "Errorist" asked me that on another thread too. Actually, when I registered here, they had me list two names, and Finest Known was my second choice, but for some reason they've made it my posting name and my 1st choice is my "login" name now. Strange!

Guess it's time for me to change my handle here, huh? confused.gif Can I change my name this soon, although I've only been registered here for a few days?

By the way, what is the problem you mentioned with ANAC's new holders? I assume you mean their new, blue, odd-shaped holders? I had a few coins slabbed by them in Feb. and they sent them to me in those blue holders. Are they insecure or something?

Jim / Finest Known (only on this site)

I'd go ahead and change it! That seller caters to slab buyers and not coin collectors.

Leo

Jim, here's my writeup regarding the infamous Norweb Hibernia .

James

Great read but it was a cliff-hanger! Where's part two?!

Part two is in a sealed court document and James cannot comment further without risking prosecution. Be patient. Upon James death his lawyer will covertly release the documents and the truth will be known. gossip.gifdevil.gif