• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Error Progression - How did it happen?

16 posts in this topic

A little more than a year ago, a reader sent a 2001-P Kennedy to CW's "Collectors' Clearinghouse". He discovered an unusual mark on the reverse to the right of the eagle's head and he asked Eric von Klinger what might have caused it. Eric was almost positive that it couldn't be a die crack because it was too smooth. He thought, instead, that it might be a die gouge. The reader mentioned that he found the half dollar in a $100 Mixed P&D Bag from the U.S. Mint.

So, I decided to go through the bags that I got from the Mint to see if I had any of these anomalies. Well, I didn't find just one or two. I found 27 of them. The only problem was that the unusual mark appeared to lengthen and another strange thing began to appear. For one thing, all of the coins must have come from the same die because there was a marker present on all of them.

I sent these coins to Eric and suggested that, perhaps, a series of dies clashes may have been the culprit. Think about it! If a temporary blockage of the transport mechanism could allow one die clash, why couldn't it happen again? Eric wrote a follow-up to his original column, however, he could offer no logical explanation for what may have caused it.

I'm not sure if my pictures will show all of the details, but I will post them momentarily.

As reference points, I will call the ray to the far right #5, the one to it's left, #4, then #3, then #2 and finally #1, nearest the eagle's neck.

Coin #1 - There is a faint mark that extends southeast from the intersection of the neck and ray #1 and extends across ray #2 then angles slightly east toward the nearest star. Note the dark spot on the shield toward which ray #3 points. This is an early stage of a die chip.

1191905-IMG_0380.JPG

Coin #2 - The faint mark has become slightly more pronounced between rays #1 & #2 and now extends all the way to ray #3. There is also faint evidence of another mark extending from ray #5 southeast toward the curvature of the eagle's wing.

1191905-IMG_0384.JPG

Coin #3 - The mark has now become very pronounced between rays #1 & #3 and it can be seen faintly extending from ray #3 to ray #4. The die chip on the shield is becoming more pronounced, but for some reason it doesn't show up well in the photo. That's not all! It appears as though the eagle's neck has swollen on the right side and has partially obliterated the base of ray #1.

1191905-IMG_0387.JPG

Coin #4 - The boldest part of the mark appears to have doubled and it becomes faintly visible between rays #4 & #5, and the die chip is very evident.

1191905-IMG_0392.JPG

I am positive that this could not be a die crack. It's just too smooth, but how could it be a gouge? A gouge can't grow longer. I don't think it could be a strike-through either. It would have been fully developed on the first coin. The only conclusion I can draw is that these coins were the result of a series of die clashes. The position and direction of the mark very closely resemble the deep cleft in Kennedy's ear which would be one of the high points on the die. Is it possible that multiple clashes caused the die to deteriorate and produce the swelling of the eagle's neck? Does anyone have any other theories?

I don't know if anyone can see all of this. Maybe someone could give me some suggestions on how to improve the images.

Chris

1191905-IMG_0392.JPG.c0b91df531d97810956725bfd67b0df9.JPG

You guys are cracking me up! I think I'll do this more often. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

PS. Geez, you mean you guys want to buy something you haven't even seen yet? NOT!!!

Hey, If Chris can find 27, then why can't I? MUST SEE PICS... I don't suppose I could buy one frm you, Chris?

I had to sort through 500 of these just to get 27!! What is that saying............ If you want to find your Prince Charming (Kennedy?) you've got to kiss a lot of toads.

Chris

PS. I hope I didn't keep Lou up past his bedtime again.

I like the repeated clash theory, but I truly have no idea. What I DO know is that there needs to be a "FG" (Full Goiter) designation for those pieces. insane.gif

Hoot

Could it be a struck through grease and your pics are in the wrong order?

I doubt it. How would you explain the (pardon my errorist euphemism) Swollen Eagle's Neck ? How could it be present on the first coin and disappear completely leaving a normal neckline on the last coin?

Chris

I like the repeated clash theory, but I truly have no idea. What I DO know is that there needs to be a "FG" (Full Goiter) designation for those pieces. insane.gif

Hoot

I wonder if Billy could perform some of his overlay magic with Kennedy's ear? If it matches, then it would have to be multiple die clashes. Besides, isn't it common knowledge that many government employees only work 3 hours of an 8-hour shift?

Chris

Just take one of the non-FG pieces and drill a hole through it at kennedy's ear. Then you'll know about the clash without all the new-fangled overlay technology grin.gif and you can then sell it to someone who collects holed coins, or just release it into the wild.

Hoot

Just take one of the non-FG pieces and drill a hole through it at kennedy's ear. Then you'll know about the clash without all the new-fangled overlay technology grin.gif and you can then sell it to someone who collects holed coins, or just release it into the wild.

Hoot

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I've got a better idea! I'll use Q-tips to take swabs from Kennedy's ear on the obverse and the affected area on the reverse. Then, I'll send them to the CSI Crime Lab for testing. If the DNA samples match, we'll have proof positive. acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Chris