• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do FE's look so ugly in grades less than 65?

13 posts in this topic

I'd love to come across a 63 with some eye appeal for my type set, but this pretty much typical of the 63 grade. 62s are generally much worse. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet - you get what you pay for etc. etc. etc.

fe63.jpg

The generally splotchy and unattractive toning, distracting contact marks.

The photo is obviously lightened, so maybe it would look better in hand.

It's not a bad coin by any means, but my point is that there seems to be a much bigger difference between 63 and 65 in this series than in others.

jazzy i totally agree wioth you flyers most all 99% are fugyl and problemitic in ms63 and ms64 and even many, lots and lots 893whatthe.gif are ugly overgraded weakly struck with many mint mDE AND POST mint problems in ms 65 pcgs and ngc holders frustrated.gifmakepoint.giffrustrated.gif

just rthe way they were made with this new hard to mix and alloy 88% copper 12% nickel mint could not get things right such is life

hard to find nice even in gem let alone choice unc. due to planchet and new alloy problems along with inexperience of the mint using this new extremely hard alloy to strike flyers with

but they are a unique really beautiful coin with this flyer a fantastic early type coin 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

Is that rub on the breast and on the beak?

Looks like it...huh? At least there appear to be luster breaks.

Could be a typical weak strike, but I'd have to see it in hand - not going to bother though.

hi there victor

it is not rub on the breast just the typical weak strike

it is always one thing or another with flyers and this new extremely hard alloy of 88% copper and 12% nickel used to make the coins with and the mints not being used to striking such a hard alloy and the design of the coin makes it hard to strike up all areas of the coin

a truly fully struck gem flyer is a joy to behold and would make grown men weep with joy to see something as this in hand sight seen cloud9.gif

The coin in the original post has been messed with. Something has been removed from the obverse that covered the eagle's head and went to the breast. I like the reverse but don't like the obverse. Oddly, I picked up a gorgeous EF45 last weekend and it is truly original and attractive. At only $110 it is also a better buy than a worked on MS coin, in my opinion.

Here's an MS65 that is somewhat more tannish-orange in-hand and is graded MS65. The piece has that woodgrain toning effect that I have quite attractive but that many other collectors do not care for.

1198087-new-2.jpg

1198087-new-2.jpg.932165dbe6b3e0b89e1bbc989fa6ce99.jpg