• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few questions for knowledgeable Standing Liberty Quarter collectors!

43 posts in this topic

Many treasures are found by snorkling..scr

True, scr. The main thing is to enjoy the "hunt" and what to you personally is a blessing and joy to have and enjoy!

Here's a nice, toned '18-S with (what seems to me to have) better than average head, chain mail and wing feathers, and even pretty decent shield lines for this date & mint, that I snorkeled out of the seaweed recently!

Unfortunately, my (lack of) camera skills can't begin to do justice to how nice it looks in person, plus, I don't have a web-site, which I understand you need to be able to place pix in your posts, correct? So I'll have to attach the pix, and have you click on it.

1194146-coinpix014.jpg.d48cd159be2f58c273cfdcec98a91056.jpg

SLQs are a gorgeous series to collect and Jay Cline has for many years been regarded as one of, if not the, preeminent authority within this niche. I have done business with Jay and it has been quite smooth. Steve Sabatino is less well known, but I have known him personally for several years, and he has some outstanding pieces. He really has a passion for SLQs with color or for any MS SLQ from 1919. It is not unusual to find his inventory peppered with more MS 1919 SLQs than the combined inventories of the remainder of the bourse!

Here is my only MS SLQ, in-hand the color is a tad less saturated than the image suggests.

1198106-H1917DN66FH.jpg

1198106-H1917DN66FH.jpg.a5f8a125f251e3fe741b833e8be640b9.jpg

SL quarter collectors who find themselves in Hartford, CT should stop by the Connecticut State Library and tour the Mitchelson Collection. There are several SL quarters acquired by the CSL curator (George Godard) direct from T. Louis Comparette at the Philadelphia Mint. (Comparette was curator of the Philadelphia Mint collection from 1905-1923.) These were apparently first strikes from new dies and taken from the press without the coins dropping into the receiving hopper. Others came from the pyx coins sent by branch mints. Some of the pieces are the closest thing to "perfect" SL quarters you'll probably ever see.