• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS66 or 67?

13 posts in this topic

Truly impossible to tell but I am going to guess as an RB if the extrapolated color is what I expect it to be from the scan.

Heritage scans make copper a few shades darker than reality and aren't much help with luster either. Taking that into consideration, that's a beautiful coin that looks 66RD. The only spots appear to be on the rim.

Until recently PCGS & NGC each had only one 67RD on their pops for 1901, but the NGC 67 recently crossed to PCGS (this one isn't it).

Attached are images of the 2 67RDs I mentioned. The top one is Heritage's scan of the ex. NGC coin from the Central States sale, the bottom one an image I took of the ex. Epstein example. Like you said, tough to judge coins from images so take it for what its worth.

172927-190167RDs.jpg.20eb467e2ff3a78b56333db262cf0318.jpg

I'd say, ummmm MS-66 RB. But as you said, it's hard to tell from a scan!!

mike

----------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Great pics shylock! What a contrast. Shows what good photography can do to show off a coin.

Hoot

I'd say 66RD. However, it will not be that way in 10 years. There is an obverse carbon speck at 5 o'clock on the obverse denticles. I think it may be growing.

TRUTH

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful input.

Its slabbed as an NGC MS66 RD

I fell in love with it and purchased it at a Heritage auction.

In person, it is lighter and appears more red, and the luster is truly amazing.

Thanks Paul, for the pictures of the MS67's. I like collecting photos of coins that I have in the same or different grades.

I was wondering if I should try to have it regraded, and...

I'd say 66RD. However, it will not be that way in 10 years

Michael...I'd better have it reslabbed in an airtite holder and get that 10 yr guarantee then...

shocked.gifgrin.gif