• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else trying to assemble a matched circulated set?

21 posts in this topic

Tell me how easy it is to find coins for your collection.

I'm putting together an 1876 year set in EF, and it has been quite a challenge. The easiest coins to find are those priced between $100 and $750. I already found the double dime, nickel, and cent, but the less expensive coins are hard to find in problem-free EF.

The dime, quarter, and half in so-called "EF" are usually cleaned and sold as "AU", or they are cleaned VF coins offered as EF. I've seen a number of the double eagles, though the rest of the gold coins are tough.

The Indian cent is something of an anomaly. The price in EF is almost the same as AU, and I actually paid about the same amount for an EF coin recently as one I bought in MS63 BN 6 years ago. blush.gif

What are the challenges you face?

I am putting together the world's ugliest Indian Head Cent collection. In fact, I was commissioned to complete the job on a $500 budget or less. It's amazing how difficult it is to find an 1877 IHC that is bent, holed AND corroded - and priced under $250.

James

I'm working on two matched circulated sets: buffalo nickels and Barber halves. The buffs I'm assembling in XF/AU and the Barbers in VF/XF. Both are hard as hell. Most circulated buffaloes look like they've had a close call with a cheese grater or used as brake pads, and most Barbers have been cleaned - as if by one person who has an OCD obsession with cleaning up all the nasty original coins with Brillo pads. These have taken me a long time, and will continue for quite some time.

Hoot

I'm working on a couple of toned Mint Sets in the same color from the forties.

Have a complete "circulated" Morgan Set I've been trying to match in appearance EF45/AU for 20 years with partial but steady success----------

I'm working on two matched circulated sets: buffalo nickels and Barber halves. The buffs I'm assembling in XF/AU and the Barbers in VF/XF.

That is one tough task that you've taken upon yourself, Mark. But one that will be extremely rewarding with the undertaking! When completed, the set as a whole should be worth much more than piece meal, I would think.

Both are hard as hell. Most circulated buffaloes look like they've been...used as brake pads

Oouch! That's a pretty graphic analogy. tongue.gif

I am putting together the world's ugliest Indian Head Cent collection. In fact, I was commissioned to complete the job on a $500 budget or less. It's amazing how difficult it is to find an 1877 IHC that is bent, holed AND corroded - and priced under $250.

James

James, I have a few but I don't collect them. What dates do you need? If you want, I'll take a hammer and chisel to them. On second thought, why don't I just send them to you; you can "ugly them up" yourself; pay me what YOU think they're worth and/or send the rest back. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

I'm trying to do a set of Bust quarters in G4. VERY difficult. I only have 3 of them. 1796, 1804, 1806/5

I'm trying to do a set of Bust quarters in G4. VERY difficult. I only have 3 of them. 1796, 1804, 1806/5

That sounds like it's not only difficult, but also expensive!

I'd think a matched Indians cents in G4 would be easier to assemble than the damaged ones James is looking for.

If I were putting together a set of cleaned 1876 coins in VF, I'd have it finished by now (except maybe for the gold dollar).

I've inherited a bunch of Barber Halves in AG-Good condition and have thought about seeing if I can put something together with them. They won't be pretty but it is a collection.

Not exactly a circulated set, but I am putting together a toned 1905 proof set:

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

large.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Still need the penny and half dollar -- the challenge has been to find nice original coins....Mike

Nice Mike--That Proof set will be a monster if you can find matches in color AND grade--really neat. I'm trying with a mint set but getting the grades in gem+ and the colors to match is slow-- Thankfully the copper is easy!

Nice Mike--That Proof set will be a monster if you can find matches in color AND grade--really neat. I'm trying with a mint set but getting the grades in gem+ and the colors to match is slow-- Thankfully the copper is easy!

I think it is going to be a long time project. These coins simply don't appear often enough, and when they do they are generally anything but original, much less with matching color. Luckily, many were stored in the mint tissue and have similar-enough toning. So for now, I'm more concerned with finding original coins that have a similar look, than I am about matching grades. FWIW, the coins in the above set grade NGC 65, PCGS 66, PCGS 64 respectively.

Although you'd never guess from the photos, the dime and quarter are a pretty good match color wise (see pics below), but there is clearly room for improvement. I've yet to receive the nickel, having just won it on a Heritage auction, but the person who viewed it for me gave it the thumbs up.

Here's a straight-on shot of the dime and quarter (please excuse the scratched slab):

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

As an aside, I just kind of backed into this proof set thing as an offshoot of a proof type set I'm building.

Take care...Mike

I've been working on a matched VF Barber half set for a few years and the coins are impossible to find in any manner of original state. It seems to me that they were struck with VF detail and then scoured with prejudice prior to leaving the Mint official's hands. frustrated.gif

The other "set" I have been working on is early half dollars, exclusive of the Draped Bust/Small Eagle design. These coins are in VF/EF and are original. They are a bit easier to find original than Barber halves, but that isn't saying much. They still are not readily available and the better dates (1794, 1801 and 1802) cost a boatload in that grade range. Luckily, they are the ones I already have.

I've been working on a matched VF Barber half set for a few years and the coins are impossible to find in any manner of original state. It seems to me that they were struck with VF detail and then scoured with prejudice prior to leaving the Mint official's hands. frustrated.gif

The other "set" I have been working on is early half dollars, exclusive of the Draped Bust/Small Eagle design. These coins are in VF/EF and are original. They are a bit easier to find original than Barber halves, but that isn't saying much. They still are not readily available and the better dates (1794, 1801 and 1802) cost a boatload in that grade range. Luckily, they are the ones I already have.

I imagine you must also find XF detail Barber coins cleaned and sold as "AU". Your early half set sounds expensive! At least the Barbers (should you actually find them) aren't usually that expensive in VF to XF. You have to throw away the sheets, though.