• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Morgan or William and Charles Barber?

9 posts in this topic

James and Laura Fraser! Their depictions of American Indians show an understanding of a proud heritage.

Oh! Between Morgan and Barber, I have to go with Morgan. The Barber coins look like Charles just flipped over Morgans design and went with it!!! IMO Charles should have kept his hands off of designing coinage... 893whatthe.gif

I'd have to say, Morgan!!

Much much better design!! At least thats how I feel!!!

mike

--------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

IMO Charles should have kept his hands off of designing coinage Here here! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Morgan, although he liked 'em gaudy. His eagle had peculiar wings. I really like some of the Morgan designs that never made it to circulation.

Hoot

George Morgan learned under William Wyon (considered one of the best British designer/engraver) who was at the time the Chief Engraver of the British Royal Mint. Morgan being a foreigner and perceived as a threat to the Barbers (William & Charles), his career growth at the US Mint was stunted. What wonderful coinage the US may have had if only he was allowed to grow and develop to his full potential. cool.gif