• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DMPL Morgans

14 posts in this topic

The April 4 issue of Numismatic News has a one-page article (p. 36) about these coins, so I thought I'd show you mine.

1187409-IMG_0327.JPG

1187409-IMG_0343.JPG1187409-IMG_0344.JPG

1187409-IMG_0345.JPG1187409-IMG_0346.JPG

1187409-IMG_0347.JPG1187409-IMG_0348.JPG

1187409-IMG_0349.JPG1187409-IMG_0350.JPG

1187409-IMG_0350.JPG.c39980af8ce4c0dbaf5b0e31ea99af2c.JPG

They are raw. I got both '78S in an ACSB auction and the '79S & '80S I got at a local coin show. What surprised me was the two from ACSB were advertised as PL, but they were encased in a very thin plastic disk that partially masked the reflectivity. I can only assume that the graders were wearing gloves and didn't notice it.

Also surprising was the fact that another gentleman at the local show had inspected the '79 & '80 just before me and he passed on them. They, too, were encased in very thin plastic disks. When I asked the seller if I could remove them from the disks, he never batted an eye and said, "Sure, do you want some gloves?" He was just as amazed as I when I showed him how clearly the print reflected in the mirrors of the fields. In spite of this, he gave me a very good price well below Greysheet.

Shane, I took the top photo of the '80S with the lens 12-14" from the coin without using the zoom. All of them are equally as good on, both, obverse and reverse. I think I got a pretty good deal..............all four for less than $180.

Chris

I liked the 79-S better because of the frosty clean cheek...I can't judge the mirror depth on any of them from a picture so I trust you on that point.....I am a sucker for a clean cheek cloud9.gif

Like this acclaim.gif

81SMS66.jpg

81SMS66cheek.jpg

1187409-IMG_0327.JPG

Wow, Chris, this is an amazing demonstative picture!

81SMS66cheek.jpg

Shane, that is my kind of lady! That is such an amazing, mark-free example very rarely seen!

Thanks, Victor! Actually, the credit for this (idea) should go to Jeremy (Airplanenut). He used the same technique awhile back for his 1899-O DMPL. I would have taken identical shots of each of the four coins, both obverse and reverse, but it was not easy trying to keep my hand steady while taking the photo. Each of the photos would have appeared to be the same, but you'll just have to take my word for it.

According to the NN article and based on ANACS statistics, about 6.72% of all Morgans struck are PL and 5.05% are DMPL. I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are without knowing how many die pairs were used by the Mint and Branch Mints for each production run. For example, the total production of the 1878-S was 9,774,000. Based on the NN numbers, we could conclude that there are possibly 493,587 DMPL's. If we take their calculations one step further and accept their contention that only the first 500 (or so) from each die pair resulted in a DMPL coin, then we must conclude there were about 1,000 die pairs used in the total production run. It would be nice to know exactly how many die pairs were actually used. I think the total population for DMPL Morgans would be somewhat lower, if not substantially lower.

Chris

This was purchased off Ebay in December of 04'....I started collecting toners in November of 04' so I hadn't gotten colorfully jaded that early on 27_laughing.gif

I just can't bring myself to sell it becuase it has that amazing "S" mint luster and semi PL qualities along with super clean surfaces........so I'll just keep her for old times sake headbang.gif

CPM9-- Just wanted to support you idea that the number of prooflikes can be "substancially lower" than the NN article suggests. First they changed the basining process for Morgans late in the game, or the earlier often the striking pressure was changed. So you end up with dates with just a few examples. The 1886-O has maybe 20 real total DPL's known even though DPLs from the 1880's are comparitively common. I have an 1896S in PL where there are at best 10 known pls (with 2 DPLs only-- at NGC). If you look at the NGC PL Morgan Registry of Coxe - "Proof Wannabes"-- this expert collector has a number of very very rare examples in prooflike that just are never found on the market.

So these are tougher and pretty coins in commoner dates, and can be extreemly rare in other dates--not a major point in the NN article! cool.gif

Wow... as much as I love my Morgans, I'm a bit ashamed now...

Even in the higher grades, I have never seen a Morgan or any coin from those years with a shine like that.... Extra credit for no mars on the face or Rims!!!